[Ip-health] Hillary Clinton, on TPP: Drug companies hiking prices in foreign countries should give discounts to US government programs.

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Sun Jun 14 17:23:46 PDT 2015

This would be funny if Clinton was a marginal candidate, but she is
probably the one most likely to win at this point.   Here she seems to be
just fine with the TPP giving the drug companies "what they want," in
foreign markets (high prices), but that's fine if they "give bulk
discounts" to Medicare.

She also seems to endorse ISDS, as long as it is amended to "allow greater
public input".

>From the Alana Wise story for Reuters.
---------------

* She said that U.S. drug companies that stand to boost foreign sales from
the deal should be required to give bulk discounts to government programs
like the Medicare health plan for the elderly.

* "Our drug companies, if they are going to get what they want, they should
give more to America," she said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/06/14/us-usa-election-trade-idUSKBN0OU0W220150614

Clinton says drug firms that benefit from deal should offer discounts
BY ALANA WISE
Jun 14, 2015

Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton said drug companies
that would benefit from a Pacific trade pact should sell their products to
the U.S. government at a discount in her strongest comments yet on an issue
that has divided her party.

Clinton's comments amount to an implicit rebuke of President Barack Obama's
efforts to secure the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) and a nod toward
liberal critics of the deal as she campaigns to win the Democratic
nomination for the November 2016 presidential election.

Democrats in Congress rejected a related trade package on Friday despite a
personal plea from the president. Clinton has faced pressure from the left
and the right to take a stand on the pact.

"I have held my peace because I thought it was important for the Congress
to have a full debate without thrusting presidential politics and
candidates into it," she said at a campaign stop in Burlington, Iowa. "But
now I think the president and his team could have the chance to drive a
harder bargain."

Clinton did not say whether she would support or reject the deal. But she
criticized several aspects of the agreement, which has drawn strong
opposition from labor unions, environmentalists and other liberal interest
groups.

She said that U.S. drug companies that stand to boost foreign sales from
the deal should be required to give bulk discounts to government programs
like the Medicare health plan for the elderly.

RELATED COVERAGE
› U.S. drug companies that benefit from trade deal should offer discounts -
Clinton

"Our drug companies, if they are going to get what they want, they should
give more to America," she said.

Clinton said a dispute-resolution process should allow greater public
input, echoing liberals like Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts who
say it gives too much power to business.

Clinton said Obama should work with opponents like House Democratic Leader
Nancy Pelosi, who led opposition to the trade package. If Obama does not
get the best deal possible, "there should be no deal," Clinton said in Des
Moines.

The pact is shaping up to be a significant test for Clinton as her party
has grown more suspicious of the merits of free trade since her husband,
Bill Clinton, signed the North American Free Trade Agreement, or NAFTA,
into law as president in 1993.

Clinton has expressed reservations about free trade deals in the past, but
she played a central role in trade talks with the 11 countries involved in
the TPP as Obama's secretary of state.

Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, a rival for the Democratic nomination
and fierce critic of free trade, pressed her to come out against TPP before
Congress takes up the package again this week.

"If she joins us, we could stop this disastrous deal once and for all,"
Sanders said on CBS's "Face the Nation" before Clinton spoke in Iowa.

The trade package before Congress would give Obama's administration greater
authority to negotiate trade deals without interference from lawmakers, who
would be limited to an up-or-down vote once the deal was completed.

It also would provide benefits for workers who lost their jobs due to
globalization, a provision Clinton and other Democrats support in principle
but rejected as part of their strategy to scuttle the wider trade package.

(Writing by Andy Sullivan; Editing by Frances Kerry and Jonathan Oatis)

http://www.keionline.org/donate.html
+41.76.413.6584, twitter.com/jamie_love