[Ip-health] The variables in Dr. Peter Bach's Drug Abacus

George Carter fiar at verizon.net
Fri Jun 19 13:04:34 PDT 2015

I think patent law should be reformed substantial to, among other things, preclude health-related inventions (drugs, devices, diagnostics) from being used to reward investors. Privatizing R&D has been an unmitigated disaster for both discovery and access.

Patents were meant to reward DISCOVERERS, not investors or bloated CEOs, or lawyers or absurd licensing fees.  Discoverers, with a reasonable markup in wealthy nations (maybe 10X manufacturing) and at-cost for LMC and middle-income countries, could make out just fine and get plenty of incentives. This would permit further open-source efforts that clearly identify individuals or teams who contributed the most to the work. Transparent clinical trials funded in collaborative ways by governments would assure patients' risks and contributions are rewarded with truth, medicine and science rather than marketing lies and distortions.
George M. Carter