[Ip-health] TPP, TRIPS and compulsory licenses: raising the bar or confusing limited exceptions and compulsory licenses

Baker, Brook b.baker at neu.edu
Mon Jun 22 15:30:13 PDT 2015

TPP, TRIPS and compulsory licenses:  raising the bar or confusing limited
exceptions and compulsory licenses

Although I agree with Jamie Love and the authors of this article that it
would be better if the TPP directly acknowledged countries' freedom to
provide for and use TRIPS-compliant compulsory license and government use
flexibilities as set forth in Article 31 of the TRIPS Agreement, I
disagree with an analysis that Article QQ.E.4 of the leaked 2014 version
of the TPP applies on its face to Article 31 involuntary use (compulsory
licenses and public, non-commercial use).

The language of Article QQ.E.4 is limited to "limited exceptions:"  "Each
party may provide limited exceptions to the exclusive rights conferred by
a patent ..."  Article 30 of the TRIPS Agreement is the only
patent-related section of TRIPS that directly uses the language "limited
exceptions."  Article 31, in contrast, discusses "other use without the
authorization of the right holder," a phrase of art universally understood
to include compulsory licenses and government use.  Any doubt on this
issue should be assuaged by footnote 7 to Article 31 that "Other use"
refers to use other than that allowed under Article 30."  Moreover, the
lineage of limited exceptions and compulsory licenses/government use is
quite distinct and the two are typically provided for quite differently in
separate sections in national legislation.  Finally, the Canada
Pharmaceutical case also seems to clearly acknowledge the "difference"
between the two sections, see, e.g., paragraphs 7.19, 7.91.

It certainly is possible that crafty industry lawyers might disingenuously
argue in the future that Article QQ.E.4, if adopted, applies to Article 31
compulsory licenses and government use and well as Article 30 limited
exceptions.  That doesn't mean that these lawyers would be correct or that
they would win before a dispute panel.  These same crafty lawyers have
been trying to argue that Article 39.3 requires many years of data
exclusivity rather than minimum degrees of data protection. Even when
advocates point to the dangers of legal-outlier interpretations, we should
not overestimate the likelihood of their success.

What does this mean for the TPP negotiations?  In my mind, it means that
the danger of misapplication of QQ.E.4 to compulsory licenses and
government use in the future is minuscule, but that direct clarification
of its non-application to Article 31 compliant licenses might still be
useful.

Professor Brook K. Baker
Northeastern U. School of Law
Affiliate, Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy
416 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115 USA
Honorary Research Fellow, University of KwaZulu Natal, Durban, S. Africa
Senior Policy Analyst Health GAP (Global Access Project)
NGOs Board Member UNITAID
(w) 617-373-3217
(cell) 617-259-0760
(fax) 617-373-5056