[Ip-health] Global Congress 2015 Update - Dates, Theme and Tentative Tracks

Nehaa Chaudhari nehaa at cis-india.org
Tue Mar 17 01:12:39 PDT 2015

[Apologies for cross posting. Please do circulate this email within your
networks/post this to lists that I might have missed].

Dear All,

As you might know, the Centre for Internet and Society, India
(CIS-India) will be hosting the 4th Global Congress on Intellectual
Property and Public Interest (the Congress) at New Delhi, India. Our
institutional partner, and the venue for this year's Congress is the
National Law University, Delhi.

Here are some important updates:

*Dates - 15th (Tuesday) to 17th (Thursday) December, 2015 (both dates
inclusive) [and 18th (Friday) December, 2015]
*This year's Congress will be held over three days, from the 15th to the
17th of December, 2015 (both dates inclusive). Additionally, the venue
will be reserved for an extra day (18th Dec, 2015) to accommodate
non-scheduled follow up discussions, spillovers and allow for
individually organized meetings/discussion sessions

*Theme
*The theme for the 2015 Congress is /*Three Decades of Openness; Two
Decades of TRIPS*. /Discussions in all tracks, as well as cross track
conversations will be tailored around this theme.
*
Tentative Agenda*
Day 1 of the Congress (15th December, 2015) will be open to all
interested participants, including representation from the government,
the judiciary, industry, academia, research/advocacy/policy
organizations and any others. However, Days 2 and 3 of the Congress
(16th and 17th December, 2015, respectively) shall comprise closed-door
sessions, open only to participants registered/invited for the
Congress.  An additional day (Day 4 - 18th of December, 2015) has been
set aside for smaller meetings and discussions on existing or potential
collaborations between participants; to continue conversations begun on
Days 1, 2 and 3; or to have meetings/presentations/discussions which we
might not be able to strictly accommodate within the agenda.

*Tracks and the 'Room of Scholars'
*Proposed tracks include the following:

    1. Openness
    2. User Rights
    3. Access to Medicines
    4. Intellectual Property and Development.

These may be modified based on funding and logistics. We shall be in
touch with more updates on funding + proposed agenda for each track +
track leaders as soon as possible.
This year's Congress will also feature an additional 'Room of Scholars'.
As in the past three editions of the Congress, since discussions in
track sessions might be tailored towards evidence based policy making, a
need was felt to create a space for academic conversation as well. 'The
Room of Scholars' has been conceptualized as that cross-cutting space,
not restricted to a particular track. but as running along side them.
The 'Room of Scholars' will be an opportunity for the presentation of
longer, more detailed academic research papers.

*Venue - **National Law University, Delhi.
*National Law University, Delhi (http://www.nludelhi.ac.in/) shall be
the venue for this year's Congress.
Google Map Location -
https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/National+Law+University/@28.599374,77.023701,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x14217e8eec6152fa
<https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/National+Law+University/@28.599374,77.023701,15z/data=%214m2%213m1%211s0x0:0x14217e8eec6152fa>

*Accommodation
*We're negotiating discounted rates with various accommodation options
close to the venue. We shall be in touch as and when we have more updates.*
Dear All,

*Contact
*Please feel free to get in touch with me via email
(nehaa at cis-india.org) with your queries and suggestions; and I will be
happy to share your thoughts with the rest of the team/connect you to
someone else on the team. You may also get in touch with Swaraj Barooah
(swaraj.barooah at gmail.com) who has come on board as manage and
coordinate this edition of the Congress, as a whole.

On behalf of the Organizing Committee,

Nehaa Chaudhari

--
Nehaa Chaudhari