[Ip-health] BBC: Call for $2bn global antibiotic research fund

Danny Edwards dedwards at atmindex.org
Thu May 14 14:25:56 PDT 2015

Link to full report here:

http://amr-review.org/sites/default/files/SECURING%20NEW%20DRUGS%20FOR%20FUTURE%20GENERATIONS%20FINAL%20WEB_0.pdf

The lump sum places some requirements on the company:

'Under this system we would expect the lump sum payment to come with a variety of conditions linked to stewardship and global access goals. For instance, the global body awarding the payment could impose conditions on the provision of drugs at an affordable price in low and middle income countries'

But I don't see mention of giving up exclusivity, even through licensing. Maybe I've missed it - seems the company is compensated up front and retains the right to make profits from sales.

Maybe I missed something - would be interested in other views.

Sent from my iPhone

On 14 May 2015, at 6:37 pm, Gaelle Krikorian <gaelle.krikorian at gmail.com> wrote:

The article says nothing about the IP status of the drugs that would be developed thanks to this fund.

It says:
> In order to incentivise drug development, the review team says, there
> should be lump-sum payments to companies that create proven new antibiotics.
`
The project would be very exciting if it was a lump-sum but no exclusive rights. If it is the addition of the two then it’s rather preoccupying. Taxe payers could end up paying billions before development and billions after commercialization of the drugs.
(Also, if it is clear that securing a captive market through patents is not an effective incentive to get companies to develop new antibiotics:
> Many large companies have pulled out of antibiotic research.
> The report says this is partly due to the uncertain commercial returns for
> new antibiotics.
Then what is the rational behind giving exclusive rights?)

Does anybody have more info about the recommandations made by this review team?

Best

Gaelle