[Ip-health] MSF intervention on AMR at WHA68

Joanna Keenan joanna.l.keenan at gmail.com
Fri May 22 02:45:06 PDT 2015

Intervention from Médecins Sans Frontières on antimicrobial resistance
(AMR) at the World Health Assembly

*WHO 68th World Health Assembly, 2015*

Provisional agenda item 15.1. Antimicrobial Resistance

Speaker: Dr Arlene Chua

http://www.msfaccess.org/content/68th-wha-msfs-intervention-antimicrobial-resistence

 MSF has documented very resistant bacteria in our projects ranging from
child nutritional centres in Niger to adult trauma centres in Syria.
However, there remains a tremendous gap in our ability to diagnose and
understand the burden of resistance because of the lack of diagnostic tools
adapted to the contexts where we work.   We have started to use polymyxin,
considered to be the last line of antibiotics for multi resistant
infections.

The Global Action Plan is an urgent first step towards addressing the
systemic challenges causing and resulting from AMR. MSF urges WHO and
Member States to provide the resources needed to fulfil this plan and to
coordinate efforts to combat AMR. This should include mechanisms for
accountability and evaluation.

WHO and Member States should take the following actions:

-        Provide resources to implement infection control measures at all
levels of health care, beyond education and training.

-        Monitor and address important data on appropriate and
inappropriate use of antibiotics, including information on access to
antibiotics for patients who truly need them.

-        Ensure affordable access to key vaccines for all LMICs to reduce
disease burden and the need for antibiotics

-        Revise registration policies for old antibiotics being revived for
multidrug resistant bacteria, harmonising recommended dosing, and promoting
manufacturing of quality-assured products.

-        Promote development of point-of-care and rapid diagnostic tests
for resource-limited settings.

-   Support the call for innovative mechanisms for R&D of new antibiotics,
with the immediate establishment of a new product development entity
ensuring that the cost of R&D is de-linked from the price of resulting
products and that use of new products is governed by a public health
framework that ensures conservation while securing affordable access to
those in need in line with the GSPA and CEWG report.

Now is not the time for business as usual.

---

Joanna Keenan
Press Officer
Médecins Sans Frontières - Access Campaign
P: +41 22 849 87 45
M: +41 79 203 13 02
E: joanna.keenan[at]geneva.msf.org
T: @joanna_keenan