[Ip-health] WHA 68: MSF Intervention on Antimicrobial Resistance

Michelle French Michelle.French at newyork.msf.org
Fri May 22 10:58:26 PDT 2015

Available online here:
https://www.msfaccess.org/content/68th-wha-msf-intervention-antimicrobial-resistance
See all our WHA 68 interventions and briefing documents here:
http://www.msfaccess.org/content/msf-68th-world-health-assembly

WHO 68th World Health Assembly, 2015
Provisional agenda item 15.1. Antimicrobial Resistance
Speaker: Dr Arlene Chua

MSF has documented very resistant bacteria in our projects ranging from
child nutritional centres in Niger to adult trauma centres in Syria.
However, there remains a tremendous gap in our ability to diagnose and
understand the burden of resistance because of the lack of diagnostic
tools adapted to the contexts where we work.   We have started to use
polymyxin, considered to be the last line of antibiotics for multi
resistant infections.

The GAP is an urgent first step towards addressing the systemic challenges
causing and resulting from AMR. MSF urges WHO and Member States to provide
the resources needed to fulfil this plan and to coordinate efforts to
combat AMR. This should include mechanisms for accountability and
evaluation.

WHO and Member States should take the following actions:

- Provide resources to implement infection control measures at all levels
of health care, beyond education and training.

- Monitor and address important data on appropriate and inappropriate use
of antibiotics, including information on access to antibiotics for
patients who truly need them.

- Ensure affordable access to key vaccines for all LMICs to reduce disease
burden and the need for antibiotics.

- Revise registration policies for old antibiotics being revived for
multidrug resistant bacteria, harmonising recommended dosing, and
promoting manufacturing of quality-assured products.

- Promote development of point-of-care and rapid diagnostic tests for
resource-limited settings.

- Support the call for innovative mechanisms for R&D of new antibiotics,
with the immediate establishment of a new product development entity
ensuring that the cost of R&D is de-linked from the price of resulting
products and that use of new products is governed by a public health
framework that ensures conservation while securing affordable access to
those in need in line with the GSPA and CEWG report.

Now is not the time for business as usual.

###

Michelle French
Sr. Communications Manager, MSF Access Campaign
Doctors Without Borders\Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
Office: +1.212.763.5735 | Mobile: +1.646.552.4600
michelle.french at newyork.msf.org | Skype: michellejfrench
www.msfaccess.org | twitter.com/MSF_access | www.facebook.com/MSFaccess