[Ip-health] Multi-Country Patent Challenges Against Gilead Sciences

Priti Radhakrishnan priti at i-mak.org
Sun May 31 21:18:43 PDT 2015

Dear Friends,

On May 20th, we announced that patent challenges have been filed in
Argentina, Brazil, China, Russia and Ukraine on sofosbuvir, known by its
brand name Sovaldi.

We include below some highlights from the press coverage in English. There
was also a significant amount of coverage at the national level/non-English
press in key middle-income countries.

The challenges were filed by I-MAK, Grupo de Trabalho sobre Propriedade
Intelectual (Brazil), All-Ukrainian Network of People Living with HIV/AIDS,
Treatment Preparedness Coalition (Russia) and Fundación Grupo Efecto
Positivo (Argentina).

On the same day, demonstrations and protests were announced in Thailand and
Tunisia by AIDS Access Foundation (Thailand), The Tunisian Association of
Fight Against STDs and AIDS and International Treatment Preparedness
Coalition (Middle East North Africa).

Significant support was provided by Open Society Foundations, Doctors
Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontieres, Médecins du Monde, and Treatment
Action Group.

Notably, this was the first time we observed Gilead backpedaling from its
hard-line stance on pricing:

*“We didn't really say we want to charge $1,000 a pill. We're just looking
at what we think was a fair price for the value that we're bringing into
the health care system and to the patients”, said Gregg Alton, vice
president at Gilead.*

Our organizations will continue this work until sofosbuvir reaches the
people who need it.

Best,

Priti Radhakrishnan

Director of Treatment Access

www.i-mak.org

<http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/20/business/high-cost-of-hepatitis-c-drug-prompts-a-call-to-void-its-patents.html>

High Cost of Sovaldi Hepatitis C Drug Prompts a Call to Void Its Patents

The New York Times

Andrew Pollack

May 19, 2015

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/20/business/high-cost-of-hepatitis-c-drug-prompts-a-call-to-void-its-patents.html?_r=0

Patent for hepatitis C treatment would cut access for millions, groups say

Al Jazeera

Renee Lewis

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/5/20/hepititis-c-patent-would-cut-access-for-millions.html

High Price for Gilead Sciences Hep C Drug Prompts Patent Challenges

The Wall Street Journal

Ed Silverman

May 20, 2015

http://blogs.wsj.com/pharmalot/2015/05/20/high-price-for-gilead-sciences-hep-c-drug-prompts-patent-challenges/

Gilead Patents on Costly Hepatitis C Drug Challenged In Five Countries

Reuters

Brendan Pierson

May 20, 2015

Also in: Business Insider
<http://www.businessinsider.com/r-gilead-patents-on-costly-hepatitis-c-drug-challenged-in-five-countries-2015-5>;
WHBL
<http://whbl.com/news/articles/2015/may/20/gilead-patents-on-costly-hepatitis-c-drug-challenged-in-five-countries/>;
Channel News Asia
<http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/health/gilead-patents-on-costly/1861106.html>;
Daily Mail
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/reuters/article-3089744/Gilead-patents-costly-hepatitis-C-drug-challenged-5-countries.html>,
Times of India
<http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Gilead-patents-on-costly-hepatitis-C-drug-challenged-in-5-countries/articleshow/47362016.cms>,
Yahoo
<http://news.yahoo.com/gilead-patents-costly-hepatitis-c-drug-challenged-five-162218048--finance.html>
,

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/20/us-gilead-sciences-solvaldi-patents-idUSKBN0O524O20150520

Gilead Sciences, Inc. Being Urged By Activists to Offer Higher Discounts on
Sovaldi

Bidness ETC

Hannah Ishmael

May 20, 2015

http://www.bidnessetc.com/43239-gilead-sciences-inc-being-urged-by-activists-to-offer-higher-discounts-on-s/

Massive cancer philanthropy fraud, a global backlash against Sovaldi cost

MedCity News

May 20, 2015

http://medcitynews.com/2015/05/sovaldi-prices-backlash/

Patents for Gilead’s hepatitis C therapy Sovaldi challenged in five
countries

FirstWordPharma

May 20, 2015

http://www.firstwordpharma.com/node/1285224?tsid=28&region_id=6#axzz3ahqqKAmk

Sovaldi Drawing More Blowback Globally

POLITICO Pulse

http://www.politico.com/politicopulse/

 Drug Company Has Patent Challenges Over High Price of Hep C Drug

Youth Health Magazine

Bernadette Strong

http://www.youthhealthmag.com/articles/16278/20150521/sovaldi-gilead-sciences-hepatitis-c.htm

Five Challenges Filed Against Gilead Patent Claims for Hepatitis C Drug

Intellectual Property Watch

http://www.ip-watch.org/2015/05/20/five-challenges-filed-against-gilead-patent-claims-for-hepatitis-c-drug/

Activists take Legal Action against Patent for Hepatitis C Treatment

Uncover Michigan

http://uncovermichigan.com/content/24302-activists-take-legal-action-against-patent-hepatitis-c-treatment

Gilead Sciences Inc. Once Again Grab Market Attentions

StreetWise Report

http://www.streetwisereport.com/gilead-sciences-inc-nasdaqgild-once-again-grab-market-attentions-select-medical-holdings-corporation-nysesem-dycom-industries-inc-nysedy/117427/

Global Activists to Challenge Patents on Breakthrough Hep C Drugs Due to
Price

Kaiser Health News Morning Briefing

http://khn.org/morning-breakout/global-activists-to-challenge-patents-on-breakthrough-hep-c-drugs-due-to-price/

Group seeks to void patent on expensive hepatitis C drug

Bring Me Health News (health news service)

http://www.uhc.com/bmtn-categories/bmtn-news/2015/05/20/group-seeks-to-void-patent-on-expensive-hepatitis-c-drug

Activists Want to Void Patents on Gilead’s High-Priced Hepatitis C Drug

Drug Discovery and Development Magazine

http://www.dddmag.com/articles/2015/05/activists-want-void-patents-gileads-high-priced-hepatitis-c-drug

--
*Priti Radhakrishnan*
Co-Founder and Director of Treatment Access, I-MAK

*"Where innovation meets access to affordable medicines"*

*Website: *www.i-mak.org
*Skype:* pritiwho
*Mobile:* +1 917 703 2876
*E-mail:* priti at i-mak.org