[Ip-health] Economist Bhaven Sampat presents research on role of government funding in drug development | Knowledge Ecology International

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Wed Nov 11 07:08:36 PST 2015

​Thanks to everyone who wrote us about the Callaway award, which we are
very honored to have received.

On a different topic, yesterday we hosted a webinar with Bhaven Sampat,
which is described below.

​
​
http://keionline.org/node/2365​

Economist Bhaven Sampat presents research on role of government funding in
drug development
​

​[There is a link to video of the talk on the web page]​

Professor Bhaven Sampat is an Associate Professor in the Department of
Health Policy and Management at Columbia University, an affiliated faculty
member at Columbia Law School, a Research Associate at the National Bureau
of Economic Research, and currently a Visiting Professor at the Robert F.
Wagner Graduate School of Public Service at NYU, and a Distinguished
Scholar in Residence at the Engelberg Center on Innovation Law and Policy
at the NYU School of Law. Bhaven is a co-author of the book, the Ivory
Tower and Industrial Innovation: University-Industry Technology Transfer
Before and After the Bayh-Dole Act, and has authored and coauthored a
number of academic articles about patents, public sector research and other
topics in innovation, including with Frank Lichtenberg the 2011 article,
What Are The Respective Roles Of The Public And Private Sectors In
Pharmaceutical Innovation?, in Health Affairs.

We asked Bhaven to present the findings from his 2011 paper, and to discuss
his plans to update the research.