[Ip-health] Methodology for the 2016 Access to Medicine Index

Danny Edwards dedwards at atmindex.org
Fri Nov 13 02:50:07 PST 2015

Dear IP-health colleagues,

A quick update from me - the Access to Medicine Foundation has just recently published the 2015 Methodology Report, which will be used as the framework to evaluate and rank the  top 20 research-based
pharmaceutical companies in the 2016 Access to Medicine Index.  the Index itself will be published late next year.

The 2015 methodology was developed together with members of our Technical sub-committees, our Expert Review Committee, and a wide range of experts working in global health, including several members of this listserv -  I wanted to say thanks for all the input.  Some of the headline changes are below:

MORE EMPHASIS ON PERFORMANCE

Performance will now count for 50% of the overall weighting of the 2016 Index, with commitment reduced to 15%.

KEY CHANGES

Pricing:  The 2016 Index will map companies' pricing actions against disease burdens and inequality, assessing how companies customise pricing strategies according to socio-economic factors. This will allow for more rigorous benchmarking of company pricing behaviour and an analysis of how they differentiate strategies according to patients' needs and ability to pay.

R&D: We’ll pay more attention to  company efforts to engage in R&D for high-need products with weak or absent markets.

Patents & Licensing:  We've have introduced a new indicator looking specifically at the geographic scope of voluntary licences, tailored to disease burden. Company engagement with the Medicines Patent Pool will distinguish between paediatric-only licensing and licenses for adult formulations.  All company behaviour relevant to stimulating or blocking compeition will be measured within the P&L chapter.  All company behaviour with regards to TRIPS/Doha will be measured within the Patents & Licensing chapter.

SCOPE OF THE 2016 INDEX

* The 2016 Index will measure the same 20 companies as the 2014 Index, as they remain the largest R&D-based pharmaceutical companies with the most relevant expertise and portfolios.

* The geographic scope now totals 107 countries: a handful of countries have moved out of scope, as socio-economic conditions have improved, while others (Iran, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama and Peru) have been moved into scope, primarily on the basis of inequality in those countries.

* The disease scope for the 2016 Index comprises 50 conditions and diseases. We now use the WHO Global Health Observatory 2012 DALY estimates for both communicable and non-communicable diseases. Three non-communicable diseases (anxiety disorders, migraine and hypertensive heart disease) and one communicable disease (syphilis) are now within scope.

DOWNLOAD THE REPORT:
http://www.accesstomedicineindex.org/sites/2015.atmindex.org/files/2015methodology_2016accesstomedicineindex_accesstomedicinefoundation_0.pdf

We hope you find this methodology, the 2014 Index, and the more recent studies we have published useful in your work. We welcome any reactions and views on the 2015 Methodology.

Kind regards,

Danny

Danny Edwards
Research Programme Manager