[Ip-health] FDA enforcement discretion to allow unregistered generic Daraprim to be imported and sold at lower prices

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Fri Oct 9 05:39:05 PDT 2015

http://www.keionline.org/node/2332

​In 2011, the FDA told the NIH it could use enforcement discretion to
permit importation and sale of unregistered drugs

8. October 2015

In 2011, in the context of a shortage of Fabrazyme, the FDA told the NIH if
they could "in theory" allow Shire to import and sell Replagal, a drug
approved for sale in Europe, but not in the United States, as an
unregistered biologic substitute. The remedy explored for the Fabrazyme
shortage may be the best way to address a different problem, the price
gouging associated with the drug Daraprim (generic name: pyrimethamine).

Fabrazyme is the Genzyme/Sanofi brand for an enzyme replacement therapy to
treat Fabry disease, an inherited disorder caused by deficiency of the
alpha-galactosidase A enzyme. Ultimately, Sanofi, Shire and the Icahn
School of Medicine at Mount Sinai entered into a series of agreements that
left the United States with only one supplier for an enzyme replacement
therapy to treat Fabry disease (http://keionline.org/node/2055).

Daraprime has been on the market in the United States since 1953, and there
are no patents for the drug listed in the FDA Orange Book. Outside the
United States, there are plenty of generic versions of this drug with
prices as low as 2 cents per pill. Turing Pharmaceuticals has increased the
price in the United States to $750 per pill, an aggressive action that has
attracted considerable public interest and outrage.

The notion that the FDA could use its enforcement discretion to allow the
importation and sale of an unregistered drug is a possible and appealing
way for the Obama Administration to address Turing's aggressive price
gouging. The generic alternatives sold outside of the United States include
products that have received marketing approval from high standard
regulatory agencies, so there is no reason to think they present a health
risk.

Below is the August 5, 2011 email sent by Kathy Hudson, the Deputy Director
for Science, Outreach, and Policy at the National Institutes of Health
(NIH), to Francis Collins, the Director of the NIH. (Note also that Hudson
recommended the NIH Director grant the Fabrazyme March-In request).