[Ip-health] FDA enforcement discretion to allow unregistered generic Daraprim to be imported and sold at lower prices

Biotech. Info. Inst. biotech at biopharma.com
Fri Oct 9 09:42:35 PDT 2015

There would surely be significant legal problems (and political problems too) using this approach.

FDA allowing parallel importation of presumed functionally generic equivalents of a U.S.-approved product experiencing a shortage, such as with Fabrazyme, with laws/regulations in place for products in shortage, is much different than allowing parallel importation of products because the prices for the U.S. products are too high.  One would presume, if high prices were sufficient for FDA to allow foreign imports, this would already be common.  Also, it’s not as if with daraprime, as with Fabrazyme, there was NIH/federal R&D support and even patents (as I recall), that might provide some rationale for the federal government imposition of “reasonable pricing."

Also, the nature of the market for these products is different, and this may impact such proposals, particularly their political acceptabilty.  Fabrazyme is very much an orphan product, with a very small number of users receiving life-long repeated therapy, already paying high prices, with no alternatives and with this product (or equivalent) needed by many Fabry patients to stay alive or avoid extensive hospitalization.   With daraprime, the product is presumably used by patients for only 1 course of treatment, not for years or the rest of their lives (is my presumption correct?); and with alternatives available, patients not receiving daraprime are unlikely to die or require extensive hospitalization.

But this is a good way to keep the issue churning, to try to draw FDA and NIH into the current controversies, for activists to score points with consumers, etc.

Perhaps, there could be daraprime [and also hepatitis C drugs] “buyers clubs” distributing parallel imported daraprime, much as there were buyers clubs for HIV/AIDS therapeutics.  It would be easy for FDA to do nothing (simply ignore enforcement actions against the clubs), much easier than having to do something proactive, such as explicitly allow foreign daraprime imports.

Thank you.

Ronald A. Rader
President
Biotechnology Information Institute