[Ip-health] Call for new membership: Communities Delegation to UNITAID

Wim vandevelde wvandevelde at gnpplus.net
Wed Oct 14 09:58:55 PDT 2015

Please circulate widely, apologies for cross-posting

*CALL FOR NEW MEMBERSHIP:*

*COMMUNITIES DELEGATION TO UNITAID BOARD*

*Application Deadline:**30^th October 2015*

The Communities Delegation to the UNITAID Board represents people living
with and affected by HIV, TB and Malaria and those co-infected with HIV
and HCV, at UNITAID Board and Committee level. The Communities
Delegation aims to be transparent, accountable and to prepare
communities at grass roots and country level to engage in UNITAID work,
working to raise awareness to increase the debate about the UNITAID work
areas that directly affect those living with the diseases at country
level, especially in the global south.

 From 2006 – 2014, the Communities Delegation has managed its work
together with the UNITAID NGO Delegation. However, in response to the
growth of UNITAID knowledge among community members, especially across
the global south, the demand for a space that specifically responds to
the needs of communities living with the diseases increased and at the
beginning of 2015, the Communities Delegation formed its own separate
Delegation to serve its seat on the UNITAID Board, and is currently
hosted by GNP+ based in Cape Town, South Africa. For more information
about the Delegation's mission, vision, goals and charter, *please find
our Delegation Handbook **here
<http://www.gnpplus.net/resources/unitaid-communities-delegation-handbook/>*.

The Communities Delegation would now like to reconstitute itself and
hereby issues an _open call soliciting applications to the Communities
Delegation_. In the Terms of Reference pasted below you will find a
description of the selection process for Communities Delegation Members
as well as the selection criteria and desired profile of the members.

Interested community members are invited to submit an Expression of
Interest by Friday October 30th COB via email to
wvandevelde at gnpplus.net. Applicants will receive a form to collect
contact details, expertise, as well as the answers to three questions
about UNITAID, the role of the Communities Delegation and for
information about priorities in one of the disease areas.

Please respond to my email wvandevelde at gnpplus.net if you are interested
in joining and/or if you can recommend people who I could approach
regarding this matter. Thank you!

Best Regards,

Wim Vandevelde
Liaison Officer, Communities Delegation to UNITAID Board

/

> *UNITAID Communities Delegation Member **
> **Terms of Reference*
> *INTRODUCTION*
> This document outlines the role, terms of office, qualifications and
> commitments required to serve as a Member of the Communities Living
> with and Affected by HIV, TB and Malaria and those Co-infected with
> HIV and HCV Delegation to the Board of UNITAID
>
> The Communities Delegation has a maximum of 30 members (inclusive of
> the leadership) and will strive to achieve a minimum of 5 Delegates
> from the HIV community, 5 from malaria, 5 from tuberculosis, 5 from
> HIV/HCV co-infection and 10 from cross-cutting areas such as market
> dynamics, pricing, new drug product development, intellectual property
> etc.
>
> *SELECTION CRITERIA*
> Membership of the Communities Delegation is on an individual basis. To
> be eligible, the individual must meet the following criteria:
>
> •    A person: –
> o    Living with HIV; and/or
> o    Living with or had Tuberculosis; and/or
> o    Living with, or working with, communities affected by Malaria; and/or
> o    Living with or had HIV/HCV co-infection
> •    Be fully able to communicate orally and in writing in English
> (additional languages are valued)
> •    Demonstrated expertise and understanding of the scope of work of
> UNITAID and the opportunities it presents, particularly relating to
> issues of people living with and affected by HIV, tuberculosis,
> malaria and HIV/HCV co-infection at country level
> •    Particular expertise in issues such as HCV, market dynamics,
> pricing, new drug product development, intellectual property etc;
> •    Consistent internet, email and phone access;
> •    Demonstrated linkages with community networks (local, national
> and/or regional levels);
> •    Capacity to communicate and network effectively and broadly;
> •    Commitment to maintaining confidentiality around any confidential
> documentation available through UNITAID Committee and Board meetings
> •    Commitment to principles of transparency and accountability;
> •    Diplomatic and strategic political and negotiating skills to work
> with a variety of stakeholders;
> •    Openness, willingness and ability to learn, and the commitment to
> engage in issues of different constituencies;
> •    Commitment to a minimum of five hours per week for UNITAID
> related activities;
> •    If employed by an organisation, written assurance regarding the
> availability of five
 hours per week of time for UNITAID related
> [...]
> malaria and HIV/HCV co-infected communities
>
> *ROLE PROFILE*
> Members of the Communities Delegation are expected to work closely
> with the Board Member (BM), Alternate Board Member (ABM) and Community
> Liaison Officer, and will work primarily through email and conference
> calls. The primary role of all delegation members is to provide
> support and advice to the BM, ABM, and the Community Liaison Officer.
> Members of the Communities Delegation have the following responsibilities:
> •    To uphold and support the mission of the Communities Delegation;
> •    Consult with communities, and communicate their priorities and
> needs linked to UNITAID;
> •    Meaningfully participate in all discussions of the Communities
> Delegation, especially related to Committee and Board Meetings of
> UNITAID;
> •    Respond to communications within the time frame requested noting
> that silence means approval where decisions are being made;
> •    Commit to a minimum of 5 hours a week for UNITAID related duties;
> •    Declare a conflict of interest; and
> •    Maintain Board and Committee documents confidential.
> •    Declare since the beginning of any potential conflict of interest
> that his membership at the delegation may have (refer to the
> delegation’s Conflict of Interest Management)
> Orientation and training will be provided to new Communities
> Delegation Members at the start of each Board Meeting and through
> regular topic-specific briefings. This will be further developed
> throughout 2015/16.
> Communities Delegation Members are eligible to apply for the position
> of (Alternate) Board Member based on the criteria for this position.
> *KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS*
>
> The following are Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that Communities
> Delegation Members must commit to and achieve:
> •    A 50% response rate for requests for personal and substantive
> input and/or decision(s) between UNITAID Board Meetings;
> •    Active participation in the work of at least ONE committee of
> UNITAID that the Communities Delegation is represented on where
> nominated;
> •    Demonstrated active participation by reading, commenting and
> supporting advocacy on at least 25% of Committee/Board Meeting papers;
> •    Communicate and consult with between 5 and 10 global, regional
> and national contacts on key issues; and
> •    Participate, when selected, in two-day Board meetings that take
> place twice-yearly including two-three day pre-meetings.
>
> The Communities Delegation Member may be requested to attend
> country-level/regional consultations, occasional additional Board
> ‘special sessions’, retreats, workshops, consultative fora and
> teleconferences.
>
> All Delegation Members will be required to sign and return a statement
> confirming their understanding of the KPIs and their commitment to
**

/

--
Wim Vandevelde
Liaison Officer, Communities Delegation to UNITAID Board
Global Network of People Living with HIV (GNP+)
107 Greenmarket Place │ 54 Shortmarket Street │ Cape Town │ 8000 South Africa
Office: +27 21 424 6425 │ Mobile: +27 76 117 0238 │ Skype: wvandevelde
Email:wvandevelde at gnpplus.net  │www.gnpplus.net  www.facebook.com/gnpplus  │ twitter: @gnpplus