[Ip-health] MSF response to European Commission announcement on LDC extension on WTO IP rules

Michelle French Michelle.French at newyork.msf.org
Thu Sep 10 08:07:38 PDT 2015

http://msfaccess.org/about-us/media-room/press-releases/msf-response-ec-announcement-ldc-extension-wto-ip-rules

MSF response to European Commission announcement on LDC extension on WTO
IP rules

Background:

On 10 September, 2015, the European Commission announced support the Least
Developed Countries' (LDC) call for easier access to cheaper medicines by
means of an indefinite exemption from World Trade Organization (WTO)
intellectual property rules for pharmaceuticals.  MSF responds to the news
with the statement below.

MSF Statement by Rohit Malpani, Director of Policy & Analysis, MSF Access
Campaign, 10 September, 2015:

"MSF welcomes today's announcement by Commissioner Malmstrom that the
European Commission will fully support all aspects of the request by Least
Developed Countries (LDCs) for a waiver of implementing the TRIPS
Agreement as it relates to pharmaceuticals until such countries are no
longer LDCs. We hope that the EU Member States in the Council swiftly
follow suit.

We applaud this important change in the EU position since the last time
this issue was discussed at the WTO.

Today, MSF works in 28 LDCs, facing multiple challenges including disease
outbreaks, conflicts and natural disasters. Ensuring affordable access to
medical tools is essential to providing the best care to our patients.

MSF urges other countries that have not yet fully supported the request,
especially the United States and Switzerland, to follow the lead of the EU
and also fully support the request as put forward by the LDCs as soon as
possible, in lieu of forcing these vulnerable countries to negotiate away
their rights to affordable medicines."

###

Michelle French
Sr. Communications Manager, MSF Access Campaign
Doctors Without Borders\Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)
Office: +1.212.763.5735 | Mobile: +1.646.552.4600
michelle.french at newyork.msf.org | Skype: michellejfrench
www.msfaccess.org | twitter.com/MSF_access | www.facebook.com/MSFaccess