[Ip-health] Senator Bernie Sanders Asks USTR to Endorse Waiver of WTO Patent Rules for Least Developed Countries

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Mon Sep 28 13:54:09 PDT 2015

​Peter Pitts, perhaps has access to some unknown medical facts, that
suggest that once one resides in a poor country, none of the rich country
drugs work anymore?  Or, are you just too dense to imagine that high prices
on drugs might negatively influence their position on formularies in poor
countries?   You know, economics meeting the budget constraint.

​http://cmpi.org/about-us/founders/peter-pitts/
​

Peter Pitts

Peter Pitts is President and co-founder of the Center for Medicine in the
Public Interest. Prior to founding CMPI, Pitts was a Senior Fellow for
healthcare studies at the Pacific Research Institute.

>From 2002-2004 Peter was FDA’s Associate Commissioner for External
Relations, serving as senior communications and policy adviser to the
Commissioner. He supervised FDA's Office of Public Affairs, Office of the
Ombudsman, Office of Special Health Issues, Office of Executive
Secretariat, and Advisory Committee Oversight and Management. He served on
the agency’s obesity working group and counterfeit drug taskforce.

His book, Become Strategic or Die, is widely recognized as a cutting edge
study of how leadership, in order to be successful over the long term, must
be combined with strategic vision and ethical practice. He is the editor of
the new book, Coincidence or Crisis, a discussion of global prescription
medicine counterfeiting.

He has served as an adjunct professor at Indiana University’s School of
Public and Environmental Affairs and Butler University.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 4:28 PM, Ruth Lopert <ruth.lopert at gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter
> What about sofosbuvir, simeprevir, daclatasvir, dasabuvir, trastuzumab,
> imatinib, delaminid, HPV vaccine? - all on the Model List, all patented
> What about tenofovir, lamivudine and nevirapine? - all first line ART
> treatments - all still under patent in, for example, Vietnam
> Etc etc
>
> As you said “Facts are pesky things.”
>
> RL
>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Peter Pitts <ppitts at cmpi.org> wrote:
>
> > Nope.
> >
> > How about "reality matters."
> >
> > Peter J. Pitts
> >
> > > On Sep 28, 2015, at 3:50 PM, Tahir Amin <tahir at i-mak.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Peter,
> > >
> > > Your comment could be intrepreted as #onlywhitelivesmatter?
> > >
> > > Tahir

> > new

> > this
> > some