[Ip-health] NYT: Lifting the Patent Barrier to New Drugs and Energy Sources

Thomas Pogge thomas.pogge at yale.edu
Tue Apr 12 20:22:47 PDT 2016

Professor Stavins offers a counterargument: “In the long term, if there
are no property rights, it will destroy the incentive to develop the
next generation of technologies.”
This false dichotomy has been debunked many times. Intellectual property
rights are not the only possible rewards one might give to innovators. A
good alternative is to reward them, with public funds, according to the
social value of their innovation on condition that they make it freely
available to all. This is the obvious solution in the case of green
technologies: /let's reward such innovations according to emissions
averted and charge nothing for their use/. If we continue rewarding
innovators by allowing them to charge high licensing fees, then many
will continue to prefer using older, more polluting technologies and we
will continue to harm ourselves and future generations.
Professor Thomas Pogge

Thomas Pogge**

*Thomas Pogge*

*Leitner**Professor of Philosophy and International Affairs*

*Yale University, PO Box 208306, New Haven, CT 06520-8306*

*https://campuspress.yale.edu/thomaspogge new book:**https://goo.gl/VfBYBT*

*www.ted.com/speakers/thomas_pogge.html
<http://www.ted.com/speakers/thomas_pogge.html>http://goo.gl/sNwSSQ Twitter*