[Ip-health] In 2001, 20 members of the House of Representatives introduced a bill on compulsory licensing

Damiano de Felice ddefelice at atmindex.org
Fri Apr 29 09:13:07 PDT 2016

This is the other bill

https://www.congress.gov/bill/107th-congress/house-bill/3235/text

[Congressional Bills 107th Congress]
[From the U.S. Government Printing Office]
[H.R. 3235 Introduced in House (IH)]

107th CONGRESS
  1st Session
                                H. R. 3235

   To amend title 35, United States Code, to provide for compulsory
   licensing of certain patented inventions relating to health care
                              emergencies.

                    IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

                            November 6, 2001

Mr. Brown of Ohio introduced the following bill; which was referred to
                     the Committee on the Judiciary

                                 A BILL

   To amend title 35, United States Code, to provide for compulsory
   licensing of certain patented inventions relating to health care
                              emergencies.

    Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the
United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

    This Act may be cited as the ``Public Health Emergency Medicines
Act''.

SEC. 2. COMPULSORY LICENSING OF PATENTED INVENTIONS.

    (a) In General.--Chapter 14 of title 35, United States Code, is
amended by adding at the end the following:
``Sec. 158. Compulsory licensing
    ``(a) Compulsory Licensing of Patented Inventions in Public Health
Emergency.--In the case of any invention relating to health care the
Secretary of Health and Human Services shall have the right to
authorize use of the subject matter of the patent without authorization
of the patent holder or any licensees of the patent holder if the
Secretary makes the determination that the invention is needed to
address a public health emergency.
    ``(b) Compensation for Use of a Patent.--In exercising the right
under subsection (a) to authorize other use of the subject matter of a
patent, the right holder shall be paid reasonable remuneration for the
use of the patent. In determining the reasonableness of remuneration
for the use of a patent, the Secretary of Health and Human Services may
consider--
            ``(1) evidence of the risks and costs associated with the
        invention claimed in the patent and the commercial development
        of products that use the invention;
            ``(2) evidence of the efficacy and innovative nature and
        importance to the public health of the invention or products
        using the invention;
            ``(3) the degree to which the invention benefited from
        publicly funded research;
            ``(4) the need for adequate incentives for the creation and
        commercialization of new inventions;
            ``(5) the interests of the public as patients and payers
        for health care services;
            ``(6) the public health benefits of expanded access to the
        invention;
            ``(7) the benefits of making the invention available to
        working families and retired persons;
            ``(8) the need to correct anti-competitive practices; or
            ``(9) other public interest considerations.
    ``(c) Export of Health Care Products in Public Health
Emergencies.--The Secretary may authorize the use of a patent, without
authorization of the patent holder or any licensees of the patent
holder, to export medicines or other health care products that are
needed to address global public health emergencies, when the legitimate
rights of the patent holder are protected in the export market.
    ``(d) Consistency With Trips.--The Secretary of Health and Human
Services may adopt regulations to implement the purposes of this
section, consistent with the Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of
Intellectual Property Rights referred to in section 101(d)(15) of the
Uruguay Round Agreements Act.
    ``(e) Definition.--In this section, the term `health care product'
means any drug or device (as those terms are defined in section 201 of
the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act), any biological product (as
defined in section 351 of the Public Health Service Act), or any
technology or process to the extent the technology or process is
applied to health or health care.''.
    (b) Conforming Amendment.--The table of sections for chapter 14 of
title 35, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the
following new item:

``158. Compulsory licensing.''.
                                 <all>

--
*Damiano de Felice, PhD*
Deputy Director for Strategy, Access to Medicine Foundation