[Ip-health] SCP25: Statement of Asia Pacific Group on Patents and Health

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Tue Dec 13 09:12:25 PST 2016

http://keionline.org/node/2699

SCP25: Statement of Asia Pacific Group on Patents and Health

   Submitted by thiru <http://keionline.org/user/6> on 13. December 2016 -
   19:06

On Tuesday, 13 December 2016, India delivered the following statement on
behalf of the Asia and the Pacific Group during WIPO discussions on patents
and health.

Statement by India on behalf of the Asia and the Pacific Group on the
Agenda Item – Patents and Health - delivered by Dr. Sumit Seth, First
Secretary (Economic Affairs) on 13 December 2016

Madam Chair,

India has the honour to deliver this statement on behalf of the Asia
Pacific Group. The group would like to make 3 concrete points related to
this agenda item

One, the United Nations Secretary-General’s High Level Panel on Access to
Medicines has specifically explored the policy incoherence between IP,
trade and human rights and has made a number of recommendations in this
regard. Some of these recommendations are specifically addressed to WIPO
and are directly relevant to the subject of the sharing session under this
agenda item on ‘patents and health’ in the SCP. Hence, Asia Pacific Group
would like to request the SCP to initiate this exploratory discussion based
on this important report.

Two, this committee should ensure that the study on the constraints faced
by developing countries and LDCs in making full use of patent flexibilities
and their impacts on access to affordable especially essential medicines in
developing countries and LDCs must involve the UNDP which facilitated the
UN High Level Panel Report.

Lastly, our group would also like the Secretariat to revise the feasibility
study and address the question about feasibility of disclosure of INNs -
International Non-proprietary Names in patent applications specifically
where the INN is known to the applicant.

We hope that this committee will give careful consideration to these three
proposals from the Asia Pacific Group.

With these words, I thank you Madam Chair.