[Ip-health] MSF intervention at WHO EB 138 on CEWG on R&D

Joanna Keenan joanna.l.keenan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 01:42:00 PST 2016

Médecins Sans Frontières' intervention at the 138th WHO Executive Board on
CEWG on R&D

138th WHO EB - Agenda Item 10.3: Follow-up of the report of the CEWG on R&D
Speaker:  Katy Athersuch
http://www.msfaccess.org/content/138th-who-eb-agenda-item-103-follow-report-cewg-rd

Proposals to address the interconnected innovation crises - Ebola and other
emerging infectious diseases, antimicrobial resistance, and the work in
follow up to the CEWG report - are being discussed separately in multiple
forums and under different conceptual frameworks.  There is a risk that the
multiplication of proposed initiatives will further fragment, rather than
reconcile, efforts to accelerate innovation and ensure equitable access to
desperately needed new health technologies for a wide range of diseases.

Yet there is also a unique opportunity to build on the unprecedented
recognition of the failures of our current biomedical R&D system and
connect these initiatives within a coherent framework.
As we look ahead to the open-ended meeting, we hope that time is made for
Member States to evaluate other proposals for R&D blueprints and frameworks
being considered by WHO and other forums, in order to ensure coherence with
both the CEWG recommendations and the Global Strategy and Plan of Action
(GSPA).

The innovation for access principles formulated in the CEWG report and
summarized in resolution WHA 66.22, ‘affordability, effectiveness,
efficiency and equity’ and the objective to achieve the ‘de-linkage of the
cost of research and development from the price of health products’,
represent the most sound foundation on which to base all health R&D work to
develop essential health technologies which address public health needs.

We note the importance of ensuring that sufficient time is made available
during the open-ended meeting to review the outstanding elements of the
CEWG report.  This includes consideration of the CEWG’s main recommendation
for the elaboration of an Agreement on essential health R&D. We note with
concern that little to no work has been done to advance discussions on this
Agreement since the publication of the CEWG report in 2012.   This must
urgently be addressed.

Joanna Keenan
Press Officer
Médecins Sans Frontières - Access Campaign
P: +41 22 849 87 45
M: +41 79 203 13 02
E: joanna.keenan[at]geneva.msf.org
T: @joanna_keenan