[Ip-health] AstraZeneca Pushes to Protect Crestor From Generic Competition

PERFECT, Chase cperfect at coalitionplus.org
Mon Jul 11 07:20:56 PDT 2016

Thanks, Thiru! A quick technical question for the audience: does the Orphan
Drug Act consider pediatric and adult populations as entirely
distinct--i.e. for the purposes of calculating the number of Americans with
a given condition at a given time? For example, if 175k adult Americans had
a given condition and 50k in the pediatric population had the condition,
would that indication still qualify for orphan status? Just want to clarify
that this loophole does indeed exist; that is, a loophole to the criterion
that the condition in question must affect less than 200,000 Americans at
the time of application.

With regards to defining a pediatric population--a matter that also has
obvious relevance for obtaining a general exclusivity extension via
performance of pediatric trials--I found the following excerpt on the FDA
site and thought I would pass it along:

"A sponsor must address all of the pediatric age groups in which the drug
is appropriate for use.* FDA considers pediatric patients to be those aged
birth up to the 16th birthday. *Age categories are set as: neonates (0-1
month), infants (1 month to 2 years); children (2 years to 12 years);
adolescents (12 years to 16 years). Sponsors must address the entire age
range but need not necessarily use these specific age categories. If a
sponsor bases its studies on characteristics other than ages, such as
physiological development, the sponsor should support its categories with
scientific, developmental, compliance, or ethical reasons."

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Thiru Balasubramaniam <thiru at keionline.org