[Ip-health] Harvoni & Sovaldi, Xtandi in Top 20 Costliest Medicare Drugs

PERFECT, Chase cperfect at coalitionplus.org
Wed Jul 27 02:35:03 PDT 2016

In other words, the "catastrophic" costs of Harvoni are more than the
combined costs of the next on the list. That is nuts. Equally absurd is the
fact that Gilead's 2015 haul on hepatitis is roughly equivalent to 40% of
the NIH's annual budget.

As egregious as the overspending on the drugs listed as top "catastrophic"
earners may be, I still think that the billions and billions of dollars of
overspending on the me-too drug Nexium represents the best example of the
fact that our public system of reimbursement is designed to advance
industry's financial health. I know that Nexium topped the spending list in
2013; it might be interesting to compile just how much the government has
spent on Nexium since Prilosec went off patent in 2001.

And if industry-friendly analyses are going to use inflated interest rates
to pad the present value of investments in drug development, we should use
the same rates in evaluating the present value of the savings that would
result from a sensible procurement policy.