[Ip-health] Compulsory license in Colombia: one step closer

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Thu Mar 3 16:58:36 PST 2016

This is very good news.  We are particularly pleased to see the weight
given to the impact of the high price on the budget resources, as relevant
to the public interest.  You don't have "access to medicine for all" unless
the budget has enough money to buy all the medicines that everyone needs.
And, when resources are limited, prices can't be unlimited.  Providing
universal access, is indeed in the public interest.

Jamie

An earlier comment on this issue is here:

http://www.ip-watch.org/2015/12/03/colombia-asked-to-declare-excessive-price-for-cancer-drug-contrary-to-public-interest-grounds-for-compulsory-license/

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 6:50 PM, Andrea Carolina Reyes Rojas <
subdireccion at mision-salud.org> wrote:

> The committe that was established to (1) analyze the Civil Society request
> to declare access to imatinib of public interest and to (2) make a
> recommendation to the Minister, today published its report:
>
> "[the Committe] recomends the Minister of Health and Social Protection to
> declare that there are public interest reasons on imatinib towards the
> issuance of a compulsory license"
>
> Here is the link (spanish)
>
> https://www.minsalud.gov.co/sites/rid/Lists/BibliotecaDigital/RIDE/VS/MET/informecomiteimatinib-22022016-vf.pdf
>
> Here there are two media reports (spanish)
>

> http://www.elespectador.com/noticias/salud/historica-pelea-estan-punto-de-ganar-los-pacientes-leuc-articulo-620128
>

> http://www.elespectador.com/noticias/salud/importante-decision-esta-punto-de-tomar-el-minsalud-sob-articulo-620137
>
> Best regards

http://www.keionline.org/donate.html