[Ip-health] Reuters: U.S. industry body says India agreed to not issue 'compulsory' drug licences

Baker, Brook b.baker at neu.edu
Tue Mar 8 08:59:03 PST 2016

I think the article is more about constant U.S. pressure and Modi¹s
backdoor capitulation to the same.  In particular, the US government and
Big Pharma have been trying to insert the same kind of ³humanitarian²
clause in India¹s CL policy as they did in the August 30 Decision,
suggesting that compulsory licenses will not be pursued for commercial
reasons.  Of course, generic licensees have to earn sufficient,
sustainable revenue as compulsory licensees to actually want to enter a
market.

Tahir¹s comment seems to suggest that the capitulation of the Modi
government is primarily because it is satisfied with voluntary licenses as
a solution to generic access.  However, generic licenses at present are
available only for a narrow spectrum of diseases, so it¹s hard to see how
a government could be satisfied with voluntary licensing only.  In
addition, except for emergencies, public-non-commercial use, and
competitive-based licenses, voluntary licenses are always a possibility in
the CL context because of the requirement of prior negotiation for a
commercially reasonable voluntary license, meaning you couldn¹t
necessarily avoid them even if you wanted to.

Voluntary licenses certainly are not getting people all of their access
needs, especially in Pharmerging MICs, but I don¹t think they are the
explanation for regressive policies on compulsory licensing.  Cls have
been underutilized throughout the post-TRIPS era, not just when voluntary
licenses were adopted.  I think we need to advocate for much greater use
of compulsory licensing and opposition strategies, but that doesn¹t
necessarily mean that voluntary licenses aren¹t part of the access matrix.
 Otherwise, we have to have successful oppositions (not possible for all
medicines) and near automatic compulsory licenses in a very wide range of
countries, and, in order to create markets, those effort need to be
coordinated.  Doing some of the wholesale work with voluntary licenses for
a significant portion of the population in need of a medicines reduces the
need for even greater retail, country-by-country work.

I wouldn¹t want to have to rely on a single strategy alone, unless we
somehow can win a no-IP on medical technologies demand, something that
needs to be promoted at the UN Secretary=General¹s High Level Panel on
Access to Medicines.

Brook
Professor Brook K. Baker
Northeastern University School of Law