[Ip-health] Size, cost of trials

Gregg Gonsalves gregg.gonsalves at yale.edu
Sat Mar 12 05:53:10 PST 2016

I’d also like to see how long these trials ran, the clinical trials results summaries, to see “what we’re paying for”. Joe Ross and others have written about how studies for FDA approval have gotten smaller, shorter in duration over the past several years, particularly as companies seek some sort of fast-track, breakthrough expedited consideration.
What we “buy” when we invest in clinical trials is a set of answers—are we getting less bang for the buck nowadays? That is, are these high price tags getting us reliable clinical evidence on the effects of these drugs for the populations and indications for which they’ll be marketed? My fear is that, we are seeing inflated cost estimates for clinical trials and we’re getting less information now than we did in the past—a hypothesis, but having some info on the results of the studies Joe DiMasi looked at, the number of people in the studies, their length etc, would be very helpful too.
Gregg Gonsalves
Global Health Justice Partnership <http://www.yaleghjp.org/>
Yale Law School <http://law.yale.edu/>-Yale School of Public Health <http://publichealth.yale.edu/>
P.O. Box 208215