[Ip-health] Intervention of Bernard Pécoul, DNDi, at open–ended meeting of Member States on CEWG

Sophie Raffle sraffle at dndi.org
Mon May 2 05:54:27 PDT 2016

Open – ended meeting of Member States to assess progress and continue discussions on the remaining issues in relation to monitoring , co-ordination and financing for health research and development.  Intervention of  Bernard Pécoul, MD, MPH, Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative.

• Insufficient R&D into neglected tropical diseases,
• Little R&D into emerging infectious diseases,
• Patients unable to access new hepatitis C treatments because of price,
• Lack of R&D into antimicrobial resistance.

 These examples illustrate how the system to drive and finance medical innovation is failing to deliver on different fronts.  All are public health priorities and many are priorities for all countries, regardless of income level.

They underline the need for a comprehensive framework that ‘connects the dots’ and addresses all areas of market failure.  Today, as public health needs evolve, we can no longer clearly segment between diseases and countries. By multiplying different R&D frameworks for different diseases, we will perpetuate fragmentation and duplication. We will fail to address the common critical problems:  no coordination, no globally agreed priority setting, and no norms that guide different R&D initiatives.

The Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative is an experiment in delivering affordable treatments that address areas of need. Our collaborative model has shown, at a small scale, that alternative approaches to R&D are possible.   We have learnt:
• That a public health approach to R&D means keeping patient needs under permanent review.  Our portfolio has expanded to reflect changing realities.  It is essential to think beyond a narrow disease mandate for the R&D Observatory and a Pooled Fund, so that all areas of public health importance are included.
• That priority setting based on public health needs, not commercial gain, and coordination of the multiple partners involved in R&D are vital.
• That approaches based on the CEWG principles of open innovation, de-linkage, and affordable access allow for needs-driven, lower cost and more efficient R&D. We are committed to applying them to the demonstration project and GARD (Global Antibiotic Research and Development ). These principles should be established as norms embedded in all R&D frameworks.
DNDi believes that we must move beyond individual examples to a more sustainable innovation system. Public leadership is needed to make this happen.  With innovation and access on the political agenda like never before, Member States have a unique opportunity to progress.

We call on Member States to: ensure the remit of the WHO Observatory and Pooled Fund covers all areas of public health importance and are sustainably funded.  To request  the  acceleration of the definition of a process for priority setting. And ultimately  to ask for the development of a normative framework, covering all R&D actors and all areas of public health importance.

***

Sophie Raffle | Social Media and Web Manager
Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative