[Ip-health] Fwd: Open Letter from Colombian NGOs to the CEWG Chairman.

Andrea Carolina Reyes Rojas subdireccion at mision-salud.org
Tue May 3 02:34:21 PDT 2016

Dear Thiru, thank you.

Please find it below.

Kind regards,

Andrea Carolina Reyes Rojas

**************

OPEN LETTER TO THE CHAIR OF THE 2016 CEWG
Presented by the Colombian civil society organizations: Ifarma Foundation,
Misión Salud and CIMUN
3rd May, 2016

Dear Mr. B​hanu Pratap Sharma, Chairman.

We would like to transmit to you and all assistants our best wishes for the
success of this session, where governments, intergovernmental bodies and
non­state actors are trying to get one step closer on mechanisms that will
address the well known inefficiencies of the R&D model based on monopoly
prices, inefficiencies that have caused innumerable harmful effects on
people's health and well­being.

But we need to put under your consideration, and the consideration of
delegates and assistants, a special situation we are currently facing that
reflects both the urgency and the interests that are preventing nations
from reaching a global solution promptly.

Since November 2014 the undersigned organizations requested the Ministry of
Health of Colombia to declare the access to Imatinib (Gleevec(R)) of public
interest with compulsory licence purposes. After 15 months of an extended
and accidented process, MOH acknowledged that access to imatinib is a
matter of public interest, a prerequisite to move to a Compulsory license.
Nevertheless there is an enormous pressure from developed countries, from
Big Pharma and even from Colombian trade authorities trying to block the
Public interest declaration and the Compulsory license. It combines
inaccuracies, distortions of international trade rules and even threats of
trade claims under the dispute settlementmechanism.
Wearewaitingintheverynexthoursofdaysafinaldecision,but there are reasons to
fear the worst.

It is worth mentioning that along the process the Ministry of Health of
Colombia received communications from the State Secretariat for Economic
Affairs (SECO) of the Swiss Confederation, from Novartis Colombia and
Novartis International A.G. attempting to both misinforming and dissuading
the Government of Colombia from granting a compulsory license.

We are conscious that efforts to reach the prevalence of health needs over
commercial interests begin with the full use of TRIPS flexibilities. It has
been recognized for all of participants of the CEWG group. But we feel that
any efforts to move to a global system delinking monopoly prices from
research and development investments could be perceived without sense when
some countries impede the full use of TRIPS flexibilities with misleading
arguments and methods.

We kindly want to inform you and the attendants of this open­ended meeting
on this situation, hoping this would help to encourage colombian process
and also a prompt implementation of the core recommendations of the CEWG
report. Neither nations nor

people should continue keeping themselves from overcoming fear in order to
prioritize health over trade interests.

Please feel free to share this letter in the manner you consider
appropriate.

IFARMA FOUNDATION
MISION SALUD
CIMUN (National University center for medicines information)

Copies to:

Brasil

Chief:
Her Excellency Ms. Regina Maria Cordeiro Dunlop Ambassador
Permanent Representative delbrasgen at itamaraty.gov.br

Zimbabwue

Chief:
His Excellency Mr. Taonga Mushayavanhu Ambassador
Permanent Representative zimbabwemission at bluewin.ch

Kenia

Chief:
His Excellency Mr. Stephen Ndungu Karau Ambassador Extraordinary and
Plenipotentiary Permanent Representative mission.kenya at ties.itu.int

Botswana

Chief:
His Excellency Mr. Mothusi Bruce Rabasha Palai Ambassador Extraordinary and
Plenipotentiary Permanent Representative
botgen at bluewin.ch

Sudafrica

Chief:
Ms. Ncumisa Pamella Notutela Minister Plenipotentiary
Chargé d'affaires a.i.
Deputy Permanent Representative mission at safricaun.ch

Iran

Chief:
His Excellency Mr. Mohsen Naziri Asl Ambassador Extraordinary and
Plenipotentiary Permanent Representative mission.iran at ties.itu.int

Colombia

Chief:
Her Excellency Ms. Beatriz Londoño Soto Ambassador Extraordinary and
Plenipotentiary Permanent Representative mission.colombia at ties.itu.int

Argentina

Chief:
His Excellency Mr. Alberto Pedro D'Alotto Ambassador Extraordinary and
Plenipotentiary Permanent Representative argentina at missionarg.ch

Ecuador

Chief:
Her Excellency Ms. María Fernanda Espinosa Garcés Ambassador
Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Permanent Representative
onuginebra at mmrree.gob.ec

Bolivia

Chief:
Her Excellency Mrs. Nardi Suxo Iturry Ambassador
Permanent Representative contact at mission­bolivia.ch

India

Chief
His Excellency Mr. Ajit Kumar
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary Permanent Representative
mission.india at ties.itu.int