[Ip-health] 15 House Dems Press USTR to Clarify Position on Compulsory Licensing of cancer drug patent in Colombia

Andrew S. Goldman andrew.goldman at keionline.org
Wed May 25 15:01:50 PDT 2016

http://democrats.waysandmeans.house.gov/press-release/house-democrats-press-ustr-clarify-position-compulsory-licensing-generic-medicines

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 25, 2016

CONTACT
Kevin Parker, (202) 226-3354

House Democrats Press USTR to Clarify Position on Compulsory Licensing for
Generic Medicines in Colombia

WASHINGTON, DC – A group of 15 House Democrats today sent a letter to U.S.
Trade Representative (USTR) Michael Froman urging the Administration to
clarify its position on compulsory licensing for generic medicines in
Colombia.

The letter was led by Ways and Means Committee Ranking Member Sander Levin
(D-MI), and also signed by Reps. Jim McGovern (D-MA), Jim McDermott (D-WA),
Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-TX), Peter Welch (D-VT),
Rosa DeLauro (D-CT), John Lewis (D-GA), Barbara Lee (D-CA), Chris Van
Hollen (D-MD), Peter DeFazio (D-OR), Lloyd Doggett (D-TX), David E. Price
(D-NC), Carolyn B. Maloney (D-NY), and Sam Farr (D-CA).

“As you know, the issuance of compulsory licenses is permissible under U.S.
trade agreements and the WTO Agreement…We therefore find it deeply
troubling that U.S. officials may not be respecting the Doha Declaration,”
the Members wrote. “There are growing concerns about the very high and
increasing costs of pharmaceuticals in the United States and in other
nations.  And the annual price of this medicine in Colombia is almost twice
as much as the average annual income per person in Colombia. As
policymakers struggle to address this issue, we should not seek to limit
the existing, agreed upon flexibilities public health authorities have to
address these concerns. We ask that you clarify the position the
Administration has taken in meetings with Colombian officials on this
important issue as soon as possible.”

Read the full letter here.

http://democrats.waysandmeans.house.gov/sites/democrats.waysandmeans.house.gov/files/documents/Colombia%20Compulsory%20License%20Letter.pdf

--