[Ip-health] G7 Japan - 27 May 2016: Prime Minister David Cameron's calls for the creation of global fund for antimicrobial research

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Fri May 27 10:36:41 PDT 2016

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/g7-2016-in-japan-pm-press-statement

Prime Minister David Cameron gave a press statement at the close of the G7
in Ise-Shima, Japan.

Good afternoon and welcome. Let me firstly start by saying it’s a real
pleasure to be here. Japan is a beautiful country, and Ise-Shima is
particularly breath-taking.

The G7 is a group of nations bound together by common values and common
principles – freedom, democracy, the rule of law, a belief in open markets
and respect for human rights.

<SNIP>
Global health

Finally, on global health, we’ve discussed the urgent need to tackle
antimicrobial resistance.

Now this sounds complicated. But it’s simple.

In too many cases antibiotics have stopped working.

That means people are dying of simple infections or conditions like TB,
tetanus and sepsis – infections that should not mean a death sentence.

I put this on the global agenda in 2014.

Last week, Jim O’Neill published his authoritative Review on anti-microbial
resistance
<http://amr-review.org/sites/default/files/160525_Final%20paper_with%20cover.pdf>,
highlighting the catastrophic consequences if we do not act – 10 million
excess deaths a year by 2050. If we do nothing about this there’ll be a
cumulative hit to the world economy of $100 trillion, and the potential end
of modern medicine as we know it.

Lord O’Neill challenges us to act now.

As a first step, the UK has put in place £265 million to track the spread
of resistance in developing countries, and £50 million into a global fund
for antimicrobial resistance research and development.

But we need to go further. We need to act on both the demand for new
antibiotics and the supply for existing ones.

And so we will cut inappropriate prescribing in the UK by half by 2020,
leading the global field in reducing demand for antimicrobials.

And we will work with international partners to develop a system that
rewards companies for bringing new products to market. I talked about this
with the World Bank and others today.

This is vital work, and the G7 has a clear role to play in taking it
forward.

And now I’m happy to take some questions.