[Ip-health] India Patent Office denies patent for prostate cancer drug sold under brand name Xtandi, generic name enzalutamide | Knowledge Ecology International

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Thu Nov 10 06:24:42 PST 2016

This is a correction.  I did the earlier calculation based upon a 375,000
rs price in India.  It should have been 335,000 rupees.   Jamie

---------- corrected numbers are:

According to the Times of India, the Astellas price for 112 pills (a 28 day
supply) of Xtandi was 335,000 rupees, or about $5014.60 US Dollars. This is
$179 per day or $44.77 per pill, much higher than the $26 per pill price
Astellas sells the drug for in Japan.

On Thu, Nov 10, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Jamie Love <james.love at keionline.org>
wrote:

> http://keionline.org/node/2662
>
> ​[snip]​
>
> ​According to the Times of India, the Astellas price for 112 pills (a 28
> day supply) of Xtandi was 375,000 rupees, or about $5,620.13 US Dollars.
> This is $200.72 per day or $50.18 per pill, nearly double the price
> Astellas sells the drug for in Japan.
>
> According to the World Bank, the 2015 per capita income in India was
> $1,590 per year, or $4.36 per day.
>
> BDR Pharma was the company challenging the patent. Earlier BDR introduced
> a generic version of the Johnson and Johnson prostate cancer drug Zytiga
> (generic name abiraterone) on the India market for 30,000 rupees per month.
> This is $449.54 US Dollar per month and $16.06 per day.
>
> Zytiga is dosed at four 250-mg tablets per day. Enzalutamide is dosed at
> four 40-mg tablets per day, or just 16 percent of the API required by Zytia.
>
> The Canadian company Biolyse pharma <http://biolyse.com/> has offered to
> sell generic versions of enzalutamide in the U.S. to Medicare for $3 per
> pill, or $12 per day, if Medicare enters into an agreement involving the US
> royalty free rights in 3 patents on the drug.
>
> KEI reckons that generic competition for enzalutamide could easily drive
> the price per pill at well less than $.50 per pill, or $2 per day.
>
> Here is the story in the Times of India.
> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Patent-denied-
> price-of-prostate-cancer-drug-may-go-down/articleshow/55343339.cms​
>
> ​  [snip]​

http://www.keionline.org/donate.html
+41.76.413.6584, twitter.com/jamie_love