[Ip-health] New publication: The Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement and access to HIV treatment in Vietnam

Deborah Gleeson deborah at gleeson.net
Mon Nov 14 04:01:09 PST 2016

Hazel V. J. Moir, Brigitte Tenni, Deborah Gleeson & Ruth Lopert (2016): The
Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement and access to HIV treatment in Vietnam,
Global Public Health, DOI: 10.1080/17441692.2016.1256418

50 free copies are available at:

http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/25k6EWqepaucxSKWABYY/full

Abstract:

In the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) Agreement negotiations, the USA
successfully pursued intellectual property (IP) provisions that will affect
the affordability of medicines, including anti-retrovirals (ARV) for HIV.
Vietnam has the lowest GDP per capita of the 12 TPP countries and in 2013
provided ARVs for only 68% of eligible people living with HIV. Using the
current Vietnamese IP regime as our base case, we analysed the potential
impact of a regime making full use of legal IP flexibilities, and one based
on the IP provisions of the final, agreed TPP text. Results indicate that
at current funding levels 82% of Vietnam’s eligible people living with HIV
would receive ARVs if legal flexibilities were fully utilised, while as few
as 30% may have access to ARVs under the TPP Agreement – more than halving
the proportion currently treated.

--
Deborah Gleeson MPH PhD
Lecturer

National Convener
Political Economy of Health Special Interest Group
Public Health Association of Australia

T: +61 3 9479 3262
M: +61 423 209029