[Ip-health] Trump and Prescription Drug Prices

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Fri Nov 18 06:30:47 PST 2016

These days total US prescription drug spending is more than $300 billion.
Near $400 billion by 2014, in some estimates, and predicted to reach $550
by 2020 by one forecast.  Medicare spending on drugs is of course quite a
bit less than $300 billion, but still a lot of money.   If I am reading the
CMS press release correctly, $137.4B in 2015 spending for Part D, $24.6B
for Part B, and more spent in other Medicare programs, Medicaid, VA, DOD,
etc

Saving $300B in medicare was clearly a ludicrous claim by Trump.  But it
was a signal to voters he would do something about drug prices.   Now it
looks like that was just another campaign statement that was designed to
harvest votes, but not to help voters post election.

https://www.
cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2016-Fact-sheets-items/2016-11-14.html
https://www.statista.com/statistics/272181/world-pharmaceutical-sales-by-region/

https://healthcare.globaldata.com/media-center/press-releases/pharmaceuticals/us-pharmaceutical-market-value-will-approach-550-billion-by-2020-says-globaldata