[Ip-health] Financial Times: Donald Trump to spell out TPP exit on first day in office

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Mon Nov 21 23:54:12 PST 2016

https://www.ft.com/content/dd98598a-b044-11e6-a37c-f4a01f1b0fa1

Donald Trump
Donald Trump to spell out TPP exit on first day in office

President-elect outlines ‘America First’ agenda and backs Farage to be UK
ambassador

3 HOURS AGO

by: Demetri Sevastopulo in Washington

Donald Trump plans on his first day in office to tell the Pacific Rim
countries that signed the Trans-Pacific Partnership that the US will pull
out of the trade deal which was a signature policy of Barack Obama.

In a video outlining steps that he would take on January 20, the Republican
president-elect said he would follow through on his campaign promise to
walk away from the TPP, a 12-nation deal that took years to negotiate.
Critics have argued that the move would pave the way for China to increase
its influence in the Asia-Pacific region.

“I am going to issue our notification of intent to withdraw from the
Trans-Pacific Partnership, a potential disaster for our country,” Mr Trump
said in the video. “Instead, we will negotiate fair, bilateral trade deals
that bring jobs and industry back on to American shores.”

Resurrecting one of the slogans that propelled his campaign and produced
his unexpected victory over Hillary Clinton, Mr Trump said his agenda would
be based on the simple core principle of “putting America First”.

“Whether it’s producing steel, building cars, or curing disease, I want the
next generation of production and innovation to happen right here, in our
great homeland America — creating wealth and jobs for American workers,” Mr
Trump said.

Later on Monday Mr Trump also inserted himself in British politics by
suggesting that Nigel Farage, the UK Independence party leader who
spearheaded the Brexit campaign, would make a good ambassador to the US.

“Many people would like to see @Nigel_Farage represent Great Britain as
their Ambassador to the United States. He would do a great job!” Mr Trump
tweeted.

Mr Farage is so far the only British politician to meet Mr Trump since the
election. He has called on Theresa May, the UK prime minister, to replace
Sir Kim Darroch, the British ambassador to Washington, with someone more
aligned with Mr Trump’s world view.

In his video Mr Trump said his transition team was developing a list of
executive actions — measures that do not require congressional approval —
including the TPP notification that could be implemented on his first day
in office.

Mr Trump vowed to establish a rule that would require the federal
government to eliminate two regulations for every new one that was created.
He also announced that he would instruct the Pentagon to develop a plan to
protect US infrastructure from cyber attacks and other potential threats.
Mr Trump also stated that he would tell the labour department to
investigate any abuses of visa programmes that affect American workers.

The president-elect also announced an ethics reform policy that, if
implemented, could have a far-reaching impact on the many government
officials who sign up with lobbying firms after their public service.

“As part of our plan to ‘Drain the Swamp’, we will impose a five-year ban
on executive officials becoming lobbyists after they leave the
administration — and a lifetime ban on executive officials lobbying on
behalf of a foreign government.”

Mr Trump campaigned on a platform of bringing change to Washington and
reducing the power of special interests. But his own transition came under
fire after Chris Christie, the New Jersey governor who was initially given
the task of managing the process, hired a number of lobbyists. Mike Pence,
the incoming vice-president who has since taken over the transition team,
at the weekend was unable to state equivocally that there would be no place
for lobbyists in the Trump administration.

Questions have also been raised about undue influence over the role of Mr
Trump’s children, three of whom serve on the transition team at the same
time that they are engaged in running his business empire. Critics have
questioned why Ivanka Trump, his daughter, and her husband Jared were
present when Mr Trump met Shinzo Abe, the Japanese prime minister, at Trump
Tower last Thursday.