[Ip-health] Fwd: Fw: MSF response to 2016 WHO Global TB Report

Joanna Keenan joanna.l.keenan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 05:58:33 PDT 2016

Hi Thomas

Thanks for highlighting.

We looked at the numbers from both 2015's report (which uses 2014 data) and
2016's report (which uses 2015 data). The 2015 report states the following:
"In 2014, TB killed 1.5 million people (1.1 million HIV-negative and 0.4
million HIV-positive)" (page 1). 2016's report says this: "There were an
estimated 1.4 million TB deaths in 2015, and an additional 0.4 million
deaths resulting from TB disease among people living with HIV." (page 1) To
get total number of TB deaths for 2015 in 2016's report, we added 1.4
million plus 400,000 which gives us 1.8 million - which is more than the
1.5 million deaths recorded in last year's report, using deaths in both HIV
positive and HIV negative people.

I hope this is clearer.

Kind regards

Joanna Keenan
Press Officer
Médecins Sans Frontières - Access Campaign
P: +41 22 849 87 45
M: +41 79 203 13 02
E: joanna.keenan[at]geneva.msf.org
T: @joanna_keenan