[Ip-health] Fwd: Fw: MSF response to 2016 WHO Global TB Report

Thomas Pogge thomas.pogge at yale.edu
Fri Oct 14 15:50:47 PDT 2016

Hi Jo,

Thank you, this makes sense. The /Report/ itself sure avoids suggesting
that there is anything but progress. And if you look at its Figure 3.5
(right-hand side) on p. 29, you wouldn't guess that TB deaths of
HIV-negative people ever got lower than in 2015 -- let alone over 20%
lower. So I assume that WHO had new data that led them (between the 2015
and 2016 /Reports/) to revise death rates upward for 2014 or that they
changed their estimation technique in some way.

It may be relevant here that international agencies want to show
governments in a positive light. In 2015, we were trained to look
backward to 1990 and taught to admire the great progress made with the
MDGs -- so here a small number was more welcome. In 2016, we are trained
to look forward to 2030 and taught to admire the ambitious goals
governments have adopted with the SDGs -- so here a large number is more
welcome (one that is easier to "beat" later).

To see that the international agencies aren't always honest record
keepers, have a quick look at the measurement of hunger at
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s41055-016-0006-9

Again, thanks for your good work!
Thomas

**