[Ip-health] 17 October 2016: USTR Ambassador Michael Froman's reflections on the United Nations High-Level Panel on Access to Medicines

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Wed Oct 19 09:04:36 PDT 2016

http://keionline.org/node/2646

17 October 2016: USTR Ambassador Michael Froman's reflections on the United
Nations High-Level Panel on Access to Medicines

Submitted by thiru <http://keionline.org/user/6> on 17. October 2016 - 16:17

On Monday morning, 17 October 2016, the United States Trade Representative,
Michael Froman
<https://ustr.gov/about-us/biographies-key-officials/united-states-trade-representative-michael-froman>,
delivered a lecture
<https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-offices/press-office/speechestranscripts/2016/october/Remarks-Amb-Froman-Graduate-Institute-Geneva>at
the Graduate Institute entitled, The WTO in a Time of Change: Some
Reflections
<http://graduateinstitute.ch/lang/en/pid/1963/_/events/ctei/2016/froman-reflections-on-the-WTO>
.

During the question and answer session, Priti Patnaik, an Indian journalist
asked Ambassador Froman a question relating to the Final Report of United
Nations Secretary-General's High-Level Panel on Access to Medicines,
specifically:

The UN HLP recommended that WTO members must register complaints about
certain countries exerting pressure against those who use TRIPS
flexibilities; what is your response to this recommendation?

Ambassador Froman provided the following response:

The position of the US is that we want to make sure that there is access to
medicines, incentives to new medicines, and to do with a whole array of
issues that go to how people get access to affordable and cutting edge life
saving treatments or drugs and in our own system and in our trade
agreements we work very much to address that array of issues. We have
concerns about some of the conclusions of the UN high level panel that seem
to suggest there’s inherent tension between the trading system and
promoting innovation and ensuring access to drugs and we think that when it
comes to things like TRIPS and the various other provisions of the WTO,
it’s best to leave it to the WTO to work these issues out as opposed to
taking them up in fora that may not be informed as much by the history and
the rationale for some of these provisions.