[Ip-health] Vacancy: Cancer Alliance, South Africa
crtomlinson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 02:16:47 PDT 2016
*Job advert: Consultant to the Cancer Alliance *
The Cancer Alliance is a national alliance of 18 cancer organisations in
South Africa that undertake advocacy on issues related to cancer
prevention, detection and treatment. The Cancer Alliance is committed to
the achievement of equitable access to cancer treatment and services for
all people living in South Africa. The Cancer Alliance is seeking a
part-time consultant to conduct research, advocacy, communications and
training related to overcoming patent-related barriers to cancer treatments.
During 2015, the Cancer Alliance joined the Fix the Patent Laws coalition,
a national coalition of patient groups and organisations advocating for
reform of South Africa’s patent laws to improve access to affordable
medicines in the country. The Fix the Patent Laws coalition was founded by
the Treatment Action Campaign, Doctors Without Borders and SECTION27 in
2011 and has subsequently grown to include 31 organisations.
1. Conducting research and developing evidence to inform advocacy of
the Cancer Alliance related to achieving reform of South Africa’s patent
laws and equitable access to cancer treatment.
2. Developing patent and access landscapes for cancer medicines in
3. Developing training, advocacy and communications materials for the
Cancer Alliance and the Fix the Patent Laws coalition.
4. Arranging and conducting trainings on intellectual property, as
well advocacy and social movements related to the achievement of equitable
access to medicines.
5. Liaising with members of the Cancer Alliance, cancer patients and
the Fix the Patent Laws coalition to facilitate information sharing,
communication and collaboration.
6. Engaging with policy makers, the media and other stakeholders.
*Experience and skills required:*
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Advanced degree in Public Policy, Public Health, Pharmacy,
Health Economics or a related field preferable
- Previous work in research, advocacy and/or communications
- Strong research and writing skills (writing samples will be
- Strong diplomatic, communication and public speaking skills
- Commitment to social justice principles, including equitable
access to health care
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
The consultant will work two days per week between 28 November 2016 and 17
August 2017. (Ideal starting date 28 November 2016)
The consultant will be based at offices in Mowbray, Cape Town.
- 8.5 month contract (68 days)
- South African citizen, permanent resident or valid South African
- Consultant must supply own laptop
Please forward your curriculum vitae accompanied by a 1-2 page cover letter
to crtomlinson at gmail.com by 11 November 2016. Late applications will not
be considered and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an
More information about the Ip-health