[Ip-health] WHO Launch: Global report on access to hepatitis C treatment. Focus on overcoming barriers

German Velasquez gvelasquez.gva at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 04:05:48 PDT 2016

Dear Daniella good news. It is important that WHO  play a role, as many
other partners at national and international level, are contributing  with
advocacy and access strategies.  I know that WHO does not fund
pharmaceutical products. Let me please now raise the question of WHO role
on the promotion and assistance to countries in the use of TRIPS
flexibilities, as mandated by several WHA resolutions.

As stated by Professor Joseph M. Fortunak,  Hep C treatments are a cure.
The 12-24 weeks of treatment at the current unpayable prices to the vast
majority of countries (developed and developing) will made impossible to
eliminate the disease. Will WHO now begin aggressively to promote and  support
countries on the use of TRIPS flexibilities and in particular the
reinforcement of the criteria of patentability, the grant of Compulsory
Licences and the parallel importation?

best regards

German Velasquez