[Ip-health] How Sanofi Prices Its MS Drug Aubagio (Teriflunomide) in the U.S. and Five Reference Countries

Zack Struver zack.struver at keionline.org
Fri Apr 28 12:52:18 PDT 2017

After the United States Army ​rejected pricing concerns from public
interest groups and lawmakers over the grant of an exclusive license on
Zika vaccine patents to Sanofi, KEI sought to show that Sanofi charges
higher prices in the United States than other similar high income countries.

We used Aubagio (teriflunomide) as a case study. Additional details,
including a table that shows the price of Abaugio in the U.S. and five
other reference countries, are available on this blog post:
http://keionline.org/node/2759.

Our data shows that Sanofi charges anywhere from 4 to 8 times higher in the
United States than five other reference countries. Patients pay $6,074.40
per 28 day supply of one per day 14 mg pills at a representative national
U.S. pharmacy chain (Safeway), after coupon discounts are applied.
Comparatively, patients pay $725.29 pre-tax and $862 post-tax for a 28 day
supply in Sanofi's home country, France.

The United states accounted for 72-percent of global revenues ($966 million
of $1.3 billion) on Aubagio in 2016, despite containing only 16-percent of
the global MS population.

--
Zack Struver, Communications and Research Associate
Knowledge Ecology International
zack.struver at keionline.org
Twitter: @zstruver <https://twitter.com/zstruver>
Office: +1 (202) 332-2670 Cell: +1 (914) 582-1428
keionline.org