[Ip-health] A Chinese billionaire may get a monopoly on a cancer drug backed by U.S. taxpayers

Kim Treanor kim.treanor at keionline.org
Wed Aug 9 11:42:25 PDT 2017

https://www.statnews.com/pharmalot/2017/08/09/chinese-billionaire-monopoly-cancer-drug/

A Chinese billionaire may get a monopoly on a cancer drug backed by U.S.
taxpayers
Ed Silverman in Stat News on 9 August 2017

The U.S. National Institutes of Health plans to award an exclusive license
for promising medical technology that was funded by U.S. taxpayers to a
company controlled by a Chinese billionaire.

[snip]

“I’m not saying you wouldn’t want a foreign company involved in developing
technology. But no matter who it is, you shouldn’t give away technology
without an agreement on pricing,” he continued. “And in this case, we’re
just turning over intellectual property to a Chinese billionaire with no
strings attached. It’s an important technology and the benefits, if it
works out, are significant.”

[snip]

The advocacy group sent a letter asking the NIH to provide information
about the terms of the proposed license, including royalties; how much
funding was provided to the company by the government; and whether the
license will include language that ensures that any drug based upon the
patented invention will be “available to the public on reasonable terms” as
required by federal law.

--

Kim Treanor
Knowledge Ecology International