[Ip-health] BRICS & IP - state of the struggles?

susan.isiko.strba@bluewin.ch susan.isiko.strba at bluewin.ch
Fri Aug 25 11:58:42 PDT 2017

Thanks Patrick.
I am not following the Summit and don't pretend to be an exoert, but will give my two cents. Since SA will be hosting BRICS next year, a timely health question, from someone hailing from Africa and spends part of the year in SA, relates to SA acceptance to and indeed trade under AGOA with the USA in meat that Americans themselves will not eat if given a choice.  This raises questions for access to health meat in Africa (eg AMR) but also in BRICS and raises questions of trade/health rationship with the EU, etc. The implications go beyond just access to medicines.
I think a BRICS summit is a good place to raise this.
BestSusan
------ Original message------From: Patrick Bond Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 18:58To: ip-health at lists.keionline.org;Subject:[Ip-health] BRICS & IP - state of the struggles?
Hi dear allies,The BRICS summit in Xiamen from 3-5 Sept has many controversies.There is growing worry that the prior strength of Brazil and India on provision of generic medicines will be weakened by the new pro-globalization rhetoric, not to mention the Trump regime's erratic crack-downs. The rhetoric is bubbling up through various circuits (let me know offlist if you want our brics-from-below newsletter) - but seen from your expert eyes, what are the trends?We will have a BRICS People's Forum again this year - in Hong Kong since Xiamen is too repressive. What are the kinds of ideas we need to keep in mind, and alliances to forge? (BRICS Is hosted in 2018 by South Africa, for those who want to engage in a more open space.)Patrick(Wits University, Johannesburg)_______________________________________________Ip-health mailing listIp-health at lists.keionline.orghttp://lists.keionline.org/mailman/listinfo/ip-health_lists.keionline.org