[Ip-health] FT: Gilead in $11.9bn deal for Kite Pharma

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Mon Aug 28 08:00:45 PDT 2017

An important part of the $kite patent porfolio on CAR T that $gild is
trying to buy involves NIH funded patents.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/19/health/harnessing-the-us-taxpayer-to-fight-cancer-and-make-profits.html
https://www.keionline.org/node/2648
https://www.keionline.org/node/2640
https://www.keionline.org/node/2644

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 9:31 AM, Thiru Balasubramaniam <thiru at keionline.org>
wrote:

> https://www.ft.com/content/89601cd9-eec2-36ac-839f-79865347aaed
>
> Gilead in $11.9bn deal for Kite Pharma
>
> by: James Fontanella-Khan
>
> Gilead Sciences has reached an $11.9bn agreement to acquire Kite Pharma,
> adding a cutting edge anti-cancer technology to its portfolio.
>
> The Californian biotech group will pay $180 per share for Kite, it
> announced on Monday.
>
> Gilead’s agreement, first reported by the Wall Street Journal, represents
> nearly a 30 per cent premium on Kite’s closing price on Friday. Joh
> Milligan,
>
> Gilead chief executive, said: "The acquisition of Kit establishes Gilead as
> a leader in cellular therapy and provides a foundation from which to drive
> continued innovation for people with advanced cancers. We are greatly
> impressed with the Kite team and what they have accomplished, and share
> their belief that cell therapy will be the cornerstone of treating cancer.
> Our similar cultures and histories of driving rapid innovation in order to
> bring more effective and safer products to as many patients as possible
> make this an excellent strategic fit."
>

> --
> Thiru Balasubramaniam
> Geneva Representative