[Ip-health] PhRMA's statement after meeting in the Oval Office today with President Trump

Kirsten Myhr myhr at online.no
Wed Feb 1 00:46:13 PST 2017

BBC report the following:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38819204

US President Donald Trump has called on pharmaceutical bosses to cut
"astronomical" drug prices.

During a White House meeting with senior pharmaceutical executives he told
the firms to manufacture more of their drugs in the US. However, he also
vowed to help the firms by speeding the approval of new medicines and by
cutting taxes. His pledges helped to send shares in many of the biggest US
drugmakers higher on Tuesday. Drugmakers have faced intense criticism from
US politicians - including Mr Trump - as well as insurance companies and
patients' groups over the high cost of new medicines and price hikes in some
older generic drugs.

Among those attending the meeting were the bosses of Merck, Johnson &
Johnson, Novartis, Amgen and the head of the Pharmaceutical Research and
Manufacturers of America (PhRMA) lobbying group.

'Lower prices'
"US drug companies have produced extraordinary results for our country but
the pricing has been astronomical for our country, we have to do better," Mr
Trump told them in the meeting. "We have to get even better innovation, and
I want you to move your companies back to the United States," he said. To
help the firms, Mr Trump said his administration was "going to be lowering
taxes big league". "We're going to be getting rid of regulations that are
unnecessary - big league," he added.

Job boost
The president's promise to speed up approvals by the Food and Drug
Administration for new medicines sparked strong gains in pharmaceutical
shares.

Shares in Merck and Amgen rose by about 1% while Novartis was up more than
2% on Wall Street. The Nasdaq Biotech Index gained nearly 3% after the
meeting and the S&P 500 health care index rose 1.4%. Investors had sold off
shares in drugmakers in recent weeks following heavy criticism from Mr Trump
- supported by Democratic Senator Bernie Sanders - over drug pricing.
However, senior pharmaceutical executives welcomed Mr Trump's proposals on
Tuesday to cut taxes and loosen regulations. "We believe if these policies
are enacted, it will translate to up to 350,000 new jobs over the next 10
years as a result of growth in the biopharmaceutical industry," said Stephen
J. Ubl, chief executive of PhRMA. Amgen chief executive, Robert Brad, said
in the meeting that his firm would add 1,600 jobs in the US - a move
welcomed by the president.

Kirsten Myhr
Norway