[Ip-health] Steven Pearlstein: Trump loses backbone on drug prices. Is there a pill for that?

Dean Baker Dean.Baker1 at verizon.net
Tue Feb 7 06:12:15 PST 2017

this was my write-up on the Pearlstein piece

http://cepr.net/blogs/beat-the-press/steven-pearlstein-accuses-u-s-government-of-payoffs-to-drug-companies-for-jobs

    Steven Pearlstein Accuses U.S. Government of Payoffs to Drug
    Companies for Jobs
    <http://cepr.net/blogs/beat-the-press/steven-pearlstein-accuses-u-s-government-of-payoffs-to-drug-companies-for-jobs>

    Published: 05 February 2017

It's not clear that this is what he intended to do in a column
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/02/04/trump-loses-backbone-on-drug-prices-is-there-a-pill-for-that/?utm_term=.2a2c2ca31fa1>
that rightly criticized Donald Trump for quickly abandoning his pledge
to force drug companies to lower prices, but it is what he did.
Pearlstein asserts:

    "Because ours is the only country that does not negotiate prices
    with drug companies, using a national formulary, Americans pay
    roughly twice what patients in other countries do for the most
    widely used drugs still under patent. What that means, in effect, is
    that Americans pay for the 20 percent of drug industry revenue that
    is invested in researching new drugs, giving the rest of the world a
    free ride. In exchange for this largesse, a disproportionate share
    of the high-paying research jobs are located in the United States."

Pearlstein is asserting that the United States is making its citizens
pay more than people elsewhere for their drugs, in effect as a bribe, to
get drug companies to locate research jobs in the United States. This is
a clear violation of WTO rules and would be quite a news story if
Pearlstein has any evidence to back up this assertion.

As a practical matter, we would expect drug companies to locate their
research facilities where the cost of the research is lowest. The cost
of research is not affected one iota by what a country's citizens pay
for drugs. Most likely the reason most research is located in the United
States is the enormous subsidies that the government provides through
the National Institutes of Health (NIH). It is not a coincidence that a
huge number of biotech companies are located in the Maryland suburbs of
Washington, right next to the NIH campus.

It is also absurd to claim, as Pearlstein does, that we give the rest of
the world "a free ride." The rest of the world pays plenty of money to
finance the research being done by the pharmaceutical industry. The
industry only claims to do $50 billion a year in research spending. They
collect well over $500 billion a year in revenue outside of the United
States. In effect, Pearlstein is claiming that if the U.S. government
decides to hand the pharmaceutical industry another $50 billion a year
in profits because of the power of their lobbyists, that other countres
are free-riding because they are not equally corrupt.

Of course, serious newspapers would be discussing more efficient
alternatives to patent-monopoly supported drug research (see /Rigged/
<http://deanbaker.net/books/rigged.htm>, chapter 5), but the Washington
Post gets considerable advertising revenue from the pharmaceutical industry.

--
Dean Baker (baker at cepr.net)
Co-Director