[Ip-health] 13 February 2017 - Speech by Ambassador Ajit Kumar at the South Centre on ‘Global Economic Trends and Linkages to Geneva Multilateral Processes’

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Tue Feb 14 01:18:18 PST 2017

Speech by Ambassador Ajit Kumar at the South Centre on ‘Global Economic
Trends and Linkages to Geneva Multilateral Processes’ on 13 February 2017,
Room XXIV, at United Nations Office in Geneva

http://www.pmindiaun.org/pages.php?id=1431

*Permanent Mission of India*

*Geneva*

*Speech by Ambassador Ajit Kumar at the South Centre on ‘Global Economic
Trends and Linkages to Geneva Multilateral Processes’ on 13 February 2017,
Room XXIV, at United Nations Office in Geneva*

*Excellencies, Distinguished Colleagues, and friends*

At the outset allow me to thank Mr. Vicente Paolo for his welcome remarks
and the South Centre for organizing this interactive session on global
trends and issues that will continue to occupy our attention in 2017.

I am as curious as you are in reading the vectors and valances of the
multilateral compass in order to get a sense of the direction in which we
are sailing in terms of global multilateral policies and processes.  I
speak today in my capacity as a Vice-Convener of the South Centre but
several of these ideas and stands that we endorse at the South Centre also
reflect my country’s national position.  The same, I’m certain, is also
true for other friends from the developing world.

<SNIP>

Let me change track and focus on the area of global public health. Here the
struggle for affordable access to medicines will continue, as public
frustration spills beyond the manageable regarding the growing prices of
patented medicines including those used for the treatment of HIV-AIDS,
hepatitis C, tuberculosis and various kinds of cancer.  We cannot overstate
the need to rein in the excesses of some global pharma companies, within
the policy space available to each country, in order to streamline the
affordability of public healthcare.  This is a fundamental issue of global
concern and does not leave much space for appeasement of global pharma
giants.

Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR) is another important issue of public health
that calls for concerted and coordinated efforts both here in Geneva and
elsewhere.  AMR was recognised by political leaders in New York last year
to be arguably the gravest threat to global health.  WHO needs to take a
leadership role and strengthen itself as the multilateral forum within the
UN system to address these global health challenges.

On the issue of Intellectual Property, it has been our considered view that
developing countries need to design their IP laws and policies in a manner
that facilitates the assimilation and dissemination of knowledge to support
the growth of domestic industries.  Making full use of the TRIPS
flexibilities in national IP laws will continue to be critical for
developing countries. Full and effective implementation of the WIPO
Development Agenda and reform of WIPO’s technical assistance, whereby WIPO
is supportive of the overarching objectives of the developing world, are
crucial in this regard.  In the context of normative work on Intellectual
Property, there has been progress in the discussions on the Protection of
Genetic Resources & Traditional Knowledge. Renewal of the mandate of the
IGC with a focus on concluding the text-based negotiations and to convene a
Diplomatic Conference will be critical in the WIPO General Assembly this
year.

<SNIP>