[Ip-health] UNITAID Call for Proposals on IP

Baker, Brook b.baker at northeastern.edu
Mon Feb 20 06:01:15 PST 2017

This is a very important announcement from UNITAID concerning a call for proposals addressing IP barriers to access to affordable medical technologies.  There is a 6-month window for applications, but it will take a lot of work for qualified proponents to come up with the kinds of high quality proposals that UNITAID is seeking.  I urge you to share this announcement with your networks.

Dear Board Members, Alternates and Focal Points,

Following your decision at the last Executive Board meeting, we are pleased to announce the launch of the targeted Call for Proposals for an Area for Intervention (AfI) related to intellectual property titled“Supporting access to medicines through innovative use of TRIPS flexibilities”.

Under this call, Unitaid is soliciting proposals to support the use of TRIPS flexibilities in order to increase equitable access to affordable and appropriately formulated medicines. The call for proposals is published on UNITAID website at the following link: http://unitaid.org/calls . Necessary templates and associated guidance are also available on the Unitaid website. The closing date for submissions is 17 August 2017, at 12:00 Geneva time (CET).

The six-month timeframe for this Call reflects the need for applicants to develop high quality proposals in this area. In addition, this schedule also optimizes the flow of proposals and grants to be processed by the Secretariat, the Joint Review Committee, and subsequently reviewed by the Board.

We thank you for sharing this message via your networks.

Finally, we would also like to inform you that, following your review, the minutes of the 26th session of the Executive Board are now available on the Share Point and on our website.

Professor Brook K. Baker
Health GAP (Global Access Project) &
Northeastern U. School of Law, Program on Human Rights and the Global Economy
Honorary Research Fellow, Faculty of Law, Univ. of KwaZulu Natal, SA
400 Huntington Ave.
Boston, MA 02115 USA
(w) 617-373-3217
(c) 617-259-0760