[Ip-health] Florida Dems in House and Senate Object to Proposed Exclusive License of Zika Vaccine

Andrew S. Goldman andrew.goldman at keionline.org
Wed Jun 14 07:20:00 PDT 2017

Yesterday, Senator Bill Nelson (D-FL) sent a letter to Acting Secretary of
the Army Robert Speer expressing strong concerns regarding the proposed
exclusive license of a federally-funded Zika vaccine to Sanofi, stating
that, "If the Army chooses to move forward with its plan to provide Sanofi
Pasteur an exclusive license to sell this vaccine, it must first obtain
assurances that the vaccine will be affordable to all who need it." Senator
Nelson is a senior member of the Committee on the Armed Services.

Separately, Rep. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz led a group of nine House
Democrats from the state of Florida in sending a letter to Speer requesting
a public hearing on the matter, noting that, "As members representing
Florida, we are especially concerned of the potential for monopolistic
practices that would effectively keep this lifesaving vaccine out of reach
of far too many of our constituents." The signatories of the House letter
included Rep. Debbie Wasserman-Schultz (FL-23), Rep. Theodore Deutch
(FL-22), Rep. Darren Soto (FL-09), Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtingen (FL-27), Rep.
Lois Frankel (FL-21), Rep. Al Lawson (FL-05), Rep. Kathy Castor (FL-14),
Rep. Charlie Crist (FL-13), and Rep. Alcee L. Hastings (FL-20).

The letter goes on to request that the Army "(1) hold a public hearing on
the proposed license so that the public and Sanofi can address concerns
over the pricing of the vaccine, and (2) delay the decision regarding the
exclusive license on the patent until after such public hearing has been
held."

Blog with our comment and copies of the letter available here:
https://www.keionline.org/node/2805

--
Andrew S. Goldman
Counsel, Policy and Legal Affairs