[Ip-health] University of California presses Delhi High Court to grant patent on Xtandi, an expensive prostate cancer drug

Jamie Love james.love at keionline.org
Sun Mar 5 11:18:34 PST 2017

I wanted to elaborate some on the price of Xtandi in India, the prostate
cancer drug that the University of California licensed to Astellas.
According to the story, a 28 day supply is priced at Rs. 3.35 lakh.  A lakh
is 100,000.   The price in dollars for the 28 day supply is USD$5,200.
The price for one day is USD$186.  For one year is USD$67,832.

The drug is not a cure, but rather a treatment you take as long as it
works.'

The per capita income in India was $1,600 in 2015, or $4.38 per day.

I think the University of California needs to explain why it licenses a
cancer drug to a company that charges $186 per day, in India,

Jamie

+41.76.413.6584, twitter.com/jamie_love