[Ip-health] I-MAK Wins: Gilead Loses Appeal on Sofosbuvir Patent in China

Priti Krishtel priti at i-mak.org
Wed May 3 10:18:02 PDT 2017

*I-MAK Wins: Gilead Loses Appeal on Sofosbuvir Patent in **China*

The China patent office’s re-examination board has upheld the June 2015
rejection of a critical sofosbuvir patent
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__blogs.wsj.com_pharmalot_2015_06_19_gilead-2Dpatent-2Dfor-2Dits-2Dsovaldi-2Dhep-2Dc-2Ddrug-2Dis-2Drejected-2Dby-2Dchinese-2Dauthorities_&d=DwMFAg&c=W8uiIUydLnv14aAum3Oieg&r=EajzIeIAZFqcdIwIcG7MjFHS1y1FrY8lTPSq9dUUQDM&m=IUyOmGtzDuj3cVNrIDIcWYLsxJqd472jwqL34coLgN8&s=tOraYa1bdtjUI9JAjT-p_IDZjL75aeRLQkY0NKUB3Xc&e=>,
denying Gilead’s appeal on I-MAK’s winning case. The patent office ruled
that the sofosbuvir prodrug did not deserve a patent under the law. This
comes as I-MAK just filed a new legal challenge
<http://www.i-mak.org/media-articles/2017/4/24/after-india-i-mak-files-legal-challenge-against-gileads-hepa.html>
against
the sofosbuvir base compound in China on April 19th, 2017.

Freeing sofosbuvir of its unmerited patents in the country would open the
door to affordable generic treatment for millions, potentially saving $59
billion – or over half of China’s annual spending on prescription drugs. If
successful, this would unlock the market for affordable treatment around
the world by creating new opportunities for Chinese suppliers to export
both active drug ingredients (APIs) and finished dosage product to the rest
of the world, benefitting 80 million people worldwide in need of treatment.

More information on the China challenges can be found here:
http://www.i-mak.org/news-releases/2017/4/20/building-on-2015-rejection-of-gileads-patent-application-for.html

Best,

Priti Radha Krishtel

Director of Treatment Access

Initiative for Medicines, Access & Knowledge