[Ip-health] ​KEI submission to OECD consultation on "Sustainable access to innovative therapies"

Andrea Carolina Reyes Rojas subdireccion at mision-salud.org
Thu May 11 10:22:27 PDT 2017

Thank you dear Jamie

Please find in this link
http://www.mision-salud.org/actualidad/presentamos-comentarios-consulta-de-ocde-sobre-acceso-e-innovacion-en-medicamentos/
and below the submission to OECD of Misión Salud, Ifarma foundation, the
Medicines Information Center of the National University of Colombia
(CIMUN) and OBSERVAMED

We focused on promoting the use of public health safeguards and a call
to OECD countries to implement the recommendations made by the UNHLP.

Reflecting on the last 5-10 years, what do you think have been the major
changes affecting access to medicines?

Despite immense scientific advances that lead to innovative therapies,
States have not been able to guarantee access to medicines for all,
either because there do not exist health technologies to cure, treat or
diagnose health conditions that affect disproportionately poor people
(regardless of the country they live in) or because health technologies
do exist but are excessively expensive.

One of the main reasons behind this situation is that the current model
to promote research and development (R&D) of health technologies is
based on the expectation of pharmaceutical companies of high returns
through high-pricing their products. Pricing has been unlike
manufacturing costs, resulting in abuses of the monopoly guaranteed by
means of intellectual property protection such as patents and test data
exclusivity.

This model was established worldwide through the WTO Agreement on
Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) in 1994,
and in 2001, the Doha Declaration on the Trips Agreement and Public
Health recognized the barriers to access to medicines that result of the
TRIPS innovation model, and therefore, it also highlighted the
importance of TRIPS-public health safeguards. Indeed, it states, “we
reaffirm the right of WTO members to use, to the full, the provisions in
the TRIPS Agreement, which provide flexibility for this purpose (promote
access to medicines for all)”.

Despite the aforementioned agreements, in the last 10 years the use of
those public health safeguards has been limited, because of the
multinational pharmaceutical corporations’ and governments’ pressures on
WTO members to about compulsory licenses granting. As the United Nations
High-Level Panel on Access to Medicines (UNHLP) stresses in its report
“the sovereign right to issue compulsory licenses provided for by TRIPS
has been stymied by threats of retaliation from governments and
corporations against countries who have followed the prescribed process
set out in TRIPS”. Such intimidations have undermined the efforts of
governments to meet their inalienable duty to protect health, impeded
access to innovative medicines by the population that requires them,
constrained public health budgets and limited local manufacturing
capacities, among other consequences.

An example of this situation is the Colombian case. Because of the
interest of Colombia of issuing a compulsory license for imatinib
(marketed as Glivec® or Gleevec® by Novartis) we have recently faced
threats like the ones mentioned by the UNHLP. The most recent one can be
found in the attached letter (“AFIDRO's letter to the office of the
President of Colombia”).

This letter is the follow up that the group that gathers multinational
pharmaceutical companies in Colombia (AFIDRO) makes of a meeting held at
the beginning of 2017 at the office of the President of Colombia between
them and high-level officials of the government, involving the special
representative for the accession of Colombia to the Organization for
Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD).

In such letter AFIDRO condemns the efforts of Colombian government to
use its right to declare medicines of public interest as a previous step
to proceed with compulsory licenses, which is one of the public health
safeguards retained by WTO Members to meet their obligations to respect,
protect and fulfil the right to health. They argue in the letter that
the decisions made by the Ministry of Health in this issue, and in
others sensitive to the industry “would do considerable but justified
harm to Colombia’s aspirations to get closer to the group of countries
committed to the best policies to improve its citizens’ lives” (own
translation), which clearly refers to Colombia’s aspirations to become
member of the OECD.

As a response to this pressure, and just before the presentation in
Paris of the advances of the Colombian government in the process of
becoming an OECD Country Member, the Government of Colombia issued a
decree that modifies the procedure to declare anything in Colombia of
public interest, making it more difficult to issue a compulsory license
in the future. Therefore and unfortunately, this decree has been
understood as a requisite to be part of the OECD.

What changes would you like to see happen to improve access to
innovative therapies?

The current framework of access to medicines vs TRIPS innovation model
has leaded human kind to the necessity of identifying solutions for
“remedying the policy incoherence between the justifiable rights of
inventors, international human rights law, trade rules and public health
in the context of health technologies”. Such task has been assumed by
the United Nations Secretary General through the High-Level Panel on
Access to Medicines which “views innovation and access to health
technologies as a multi-dimensional and global problem that affects all
countries”.

In this train of thought the main changes to improve access to medicines
that we suggest are:

Firstly, a broad implementation of the recommendations made by the
United Nations High Level Panel on Access to Medicines in its report
(http://www.unsgaccessmeds.org/final-report/). We encourage OECD
countries to commit with their recommendations, as they address the
major changes affecting access to medicines nowadays.

Secondly, considering the above-mentioned specific situation facing
Colombia, an official recognition of the OECD that using as much as
possible TRIPS-public health safeguards, as it is recommended by the
Doha Declaration on TRIPS and Public Health, is both a good and required
policy to improve people’s welfare. Such pronouncement would bring
clarity to the situation in Colombia and, furthermore, will promote the
future implementation of TRIPS-public health safeguards included in the
TRIPS Agreement so that counties be able of fulfilling their human
rights and public health obligations.