[Ip-health] WHA70: Statement of India (SEARO) on cancer prevention and control in the context of an integrated approach

Thiru Balasubramaniam thiru at keionline.org
Tue May 30 07:42:29 PDT 2017

http://keionline.org/node/2793

WHA70: Statement of India (SEARO) on cancer prevention and control in the
context of an integrated approach

Submitted by thiru on 30. May 2017 - 16:38

--

On Tuesday, 30 May 2017, India, on behalf of the WHO South-East Asia
Region, delivered the following intervention on Cancer prevention and

In particular, the SEARO region underscored importance of the delinkage of
costs of R&D from product prices as a pathway to promoting innovation for
"new and better cancer drugs and diagnostics" warning that without
delinkage and accessible, affordable health technologies, the WHO would
"fail to achieve the Global commitments for NCD prevention and control".

While we welcome the draft resolution on this agenda item, we would like to
highlight the need to promote research and development of new and better
cancer drugs and diagnostics, which are accessible and affordable, and
where the principle of de-linkage of prices from the R & D cost is
followed. Otherwise, we may fail to achieve the Global commitments for NCD
prevention and control, in particular, the global voluntary target of NCDs
for 2025 and SDG for 2030, and the talk of cancer control will remain a
distant reality.

The full intervention of SEARO on agenda item 15.6, Cancer prevention and
control in the context of an integrated approach, can be found below.

Regional One Voice, Agenda 15.6 Cancer prevention and control in the
context of an integrated approach
Lead country: India, Support country: Bangladesh

Chair,
(India) makes this intervention on behalf of eleven countries in the
South-East Asia Region.

In our Region, cancer kills over 1.1 million people, many are premature
deaths. It is an unfortunate fact that most of cancer cases in SEAR are
preventable, treatable, curable and careable. Lung, liver, cervical,
breast, and oral cancers are leading cancers in our Region.

Chairperson, another area of concern is the rise in Childhood cancers that
affects our future.

Member States in the Region have made a good progress in tackling cancer
through regional and national responses. Cancer control is integrated in
the Regional NCD Action Plan. The Regional Committee resolution in 2015
prioritized strengthening early diagnosis, management and referral of
cancers, as well as enhancing information systems and population-based
registries. Furthermore, in 2016, the Regional Committee endorsed the
Colombo Declaration in which cancer risk reduction and screening are at the
core of the regional response.

Our SEAR Member States have developed and revised national cancer
prevention and control plans; have initiated implementation of measures to
address major cancer risks, namely tobacco, alcohol, unhealthy diet,
physical inactivity and other oncogenic infections and environmental
hazards. The Member States also propose to address the emerging challenge
posed by Areca nut which is another risk factor for oral cancer in our
Region. We have scaled up population-based cancer registration and
reoriented primary health care level, to provide cancer detection and
management, in particular for breast, cervical and oral cancers.

Cancer control requires an integrated, effective health system, founded on
universal health coverage and strong primary health care, as well as
holistic management to provide cancer care spectrum; from detection,
treatment to palliative care. Our Region therefore welcomes the idea of
integration to NCD prevention control program and the concept to place
cancer control within the framework of broader socio-economic sustainable
development agenda.

Chair, cancer prevention and control require adequate financial resources.
Insufficient resources impede implementation of national cancer control
programmes. At individual level, the high cost of cancer prevention,
diagnosis, treatment and palliative care largely hampers access to care, as
well as leads to catastrophic illness.

We, therefore-Chair, call upon WHO and other partners to promote
availability and accessibility of affordable, safe, effective, and quality
medicines, vaccines, and diagnostics and other technologies, including
through exercising TRIPS Flexibility.

While we welcome the draft resolution on this agenda item, we would like to
highlight the need to promote research and development of new and better
cancer drugs and diagnostics, which are accessible and affordable, and
where the principle of de-linkage of prices from the R & D cost is
followed. Otherwise, we may fail to achieve the Global commitments for NCD
prevention and control, in particular, the global voluntary target of NCDs
for 2025 and SDG for 2030, and the talk of cancer control will remain a
distant reality.

SEAR Member States would like to propose amendment to the OP2(10) to
replace the existing text with

“To synchronize and integrate the periodic report on progress made in
implementing this resolution into the monitoring and report timeline of the
NCD prevention and control, set out in the Resolution WHA 66.10”

Thank you for your attention.